The Central Midfield Thread

Fair observation I think.

Probably missing our hole plugger Gini a bit too I guess.

3 Likes

Gini + Bobby were so important for our pressing game.

This season it also seems that Jordan ā€˜70% of earth is covered by water, the rest is covered by meā€™ Henderson has also left.

And maybe Salah and Sadio are not on their usual energy level because of Ramadan.

1 Like

I donā€™t think we need to go overboard here, our midfield has still been very good this year.

We do need to have a look at how we deal with these big teams though. Without the help from Henderson and Wijnaldum, Fabinho is starting to look incredibly exposed. Hendersonā€™s energy level/athleticism looks a step down from what it was a couple of years ago.

Less concerned about Thiago, at least he can deal with the intensity of the press from the opposition (which Henderson and Fabinho struggle with). But he could do with more athleticism around him.

It was interesting to see City go to the 4231. De Bruyne was sensational in that #10 role against us. If we had a De Bruyne or Gerrard behind this front 3 weā€™d be close to unstoppable.

5 Likes

Got to be Keita against City at Wembleyā€¦ Iā€™d even go Keita - Henderson - Thiagoā€¦ Big freaking pitch Wembley, fills me with dread.

Same size as Etihadā€™s (of course, both larger than Anfieldā€™s, but equally).

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Bellingham has the tools to be dynamic like that

1 Like

Yes he does, and would love to have him. I doubt that Dortmund would sell both he and Haaland the same window, but if they get an insane offer, who knows? He would defo be a target summer ā€˜23 for me.

Add Carvalho and another young mid that can give Fabs a break, along with Jude next summer, and our midfield is transformed. Add a left footed wing in attack like Raphina, and a backup for Trent, and the Reds would be well equipped for the next 5 years plus, IMO.

1 Like

Henderson: 44 games, 3097 minutes
Fabinho: 38 games, 2991 minutes
Thiago: 27 games, 1554 minutes
AOC: 29 games, 1525 minutes
KeĆÆta: 27 games, 1411 minutes
Curtis: 23 games, 1363 minutes
Milner: 32 games, 1045 minutes
Morton: nine games, 544 minutes
Elliott: ten games, 520 minutes

We were lucky to have five players who shared the burden of the third midfielder. None of them looks capable of becoming a regular.

1 Like

This is a very good point, itā€™s the athleticism in that unit that has perhaps suffered in the last couple seasons. Gini leaving, Henderson not quite able to sustain the same levels game after game, Milner still defying his age but no way youā€™d put him in with the thought of 90 minutes. Ox seems to have suffered with his injuries and lack of game time and I donā€™t think Keita has physically been the player we saw in Germany, possibly again down to the cumulative effect of injuries.

Weā€™ve a lot of bodies and a lot of players who can do a lot of good things but perhaps what weā€™re missing is that real engine room type player. TchouamĆ©ni is the one for me. Can play DM so gives us the chance to rest Fabinho or cover for him if heā€™s injured but can also play as more of a centre mid so heā€™d get loads of game time. Absolute beast of a player and far more likely to be in our financial reach than Bellingham.

3 Likes

Said this in another thread: I think DM backup is going to be vital. We look more vulnerable without him in the side.

100% agree. a long-term vision of a backup for Fab is going to be key for us. heā€™s soo good at reading the play.

2 Likes

It has to be Tchouameni

Whenever I read/see that name, I read touch too many :innocent:

As much as I bang on about getting more legs in midfield, when you watch Thiago and Keita play to this level it just makes me think we should get another one of those. The football weā€™re playing when theyā€™re at their best is mesmirising.

4 Likes

If we donā€™t sign a player who is basically Thiago but around 10 years younger I wonā€™t be happy.

Iā€™ve not seen a player like that for a long long time at this club, we have some world class players, but he plays football on another plane of reality.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been saying this for ages now and get bashed for it on here. wtf is wrong with posters? :rofl:

He really is one of a kind when it comes to the combination of qualities he has. For me, there just isnā€™t anyone like him.

Heā€™s got the touch, control and agility of an attacker; but also the ball winning and passing qualities youā€™d want from a centre mid. Plus heā€™s as fierce a competitor youā€™ll find. And then an incredible football iq to go with it, to tie at all together.

I wonder how the starting or big game midfield will look next season, if Henderson is still in it or becomes a bit more Milner. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him bounce back and deliver a really strong start, because physically thereā€™s no reason why he canā€™t. But in terms of what he does with the ball, I think heā€™s struggling a little now to keep up when we increase the tempo and look to combine quickly. Thatā€™s the bit that makes me think itā€™s time to maybe reduce his starts. For me, heā€™s maybe a better option in the holding role, I like him there.

So one question could be what we look for in a potential new starter for that right sided midfield spot. I think physicality still is a big factor, specifically the ability to cover ground. Even though we have evolved here, moving towards more technical players (Thiago, Jones, Keita, Elliott), weā€™re still a team who plays a physical brand of football, and need guys who can run and win duels.

On limited viewing, Carvalho looks like he has a good blend of qualities. Iā€™m really intrigued by that signing, excited to see him in a better team. But surely he doesnā€™t come in to start immediatelyā€¦?

5 Likes

Good post. I think that the nearest we have to the complete midfield all-rounder, other than Thiago, is Naby but, as we are all too well aware, fitness is the issue with him.

We either roll with Naby and Hendo or bring in a new starting calibre player next season; I reckon we will go with the former and wait for Bellingham to become available in 2023.

4 Likes

I think the Cheaters will go in for Bellinghamā€¦
Having a midfield of Grealish, Foden amd Bellingham goes someway to controlling the hierarchy of the England team

1 Like

Bellingham going nowhere this summer.

1 Like