The Central Midfield Thread

It wasn’t our midfield that let us down today. 5 forwards, clinical finishing or a GK not pulling off amazing saves.

4 Likes

Add in our fullbacks, anyone blaming the midfield don’t have a clue of our tactical set up and where our creativity comes from.

2 Likes

Not blaming our midfield.

Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago, Keita = Salah, Mané, Firmino, Origi

We had a great attacking lineup for 5 years but last summer we decided to built on it and improve it so we bought in Jota and Díaz.

Now it’s time to add a Jota and a Diaz to midfield.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/joel_archie/status/154037681222360268

Can’t say he is wrong.

9 Likes

Thiago looked like a hamstring today. That’s a month at least. Ox is probably out until xmas. Our MF options are now Hendo, Fabinho, Keita, Elliott, Jones, Milner.
Sounds ok, but Naby’s always a whisker away from injury, and the rest are very young/old.

2 Likes

It odesn’t sound ok, mate. Thiago will be out for a longer period and it is standard for him top play 50% of our league matches. Jones is out too for a month and the boy has a history with injuries /freak or not, but injuries/. Keita is the same.

And the bigger problem is that Fulham totally outplayed us in midfield. Now, at this exact moment, we have 32 years old Henderson, 36 years old Milner, Fabinho who had a very poor game and is missing around 10 league matches every season, because of injuries and Elliott, just a young kid, who has the potential, but has a lot to learn. And the season has just started, we will play in 4 fronts and other teams such as Arsenal, Cheslea, Spurs have improved /we will see about Manure/.

Not signing a proper midfielder already looks like a very poor decision and as I said at one moment we will be in the same situation in 2020/2021 with our central defenders.

We are also missing Mane and Diaz must work on his finishing, while Firmino is not the same player for more than a year and he is another one who is suffering from injuries lately.

2 Likes

If Naby had Milly’s physique and attitude I wouldn’t be worried.

3 Likes

Jurgen Klopp:

“The best thing about the game is the result. We get a point for a really bad game by my side.”

2 Likes

Wrong thread?

The state of us. Sniping at each other about penalty decisions, using bold text, posting in the wrong thread…

We need to get a grip!

JK did say that unless we had injuries to the first team squad or someone left, he would not be adding to the group. Well…guess what? :pensive:

1 Like

Doubt anything has changed. We have just 4 games left this month.

Thiago won’t be out for too long.

1 Like

Hope Klopp is reading this.

Unless we play ‘top teams’ he should not start the three of Fabinho, Thiago and Hendo together.

They’ve been bad today but we need them.

I actually think that Hendo is at a stage where he is better as a #6 than at the #8.

Rotate the three. Play two of them together with Harvey or Naby.

Makes us more unpredictable and with 5 subs things can be corrected if needed.

4 Likes

Really hoping Bajetic can prove good enough to get a start

Elliot was the best midfielder today, he should start next time round.

Fabinho better not take a month to warm up… Hendo was just poor, passing was abysmal.

4 Likes

Also, watched a few games so far and I wish we had signed Guimarães he looks exactly what we need in midfield.

1 Like

Klopp is a big admirer of Barella, he would be a great addition and surely we got 60m.

For those complaining about our midfield depth, just remember - some teams have McTomminy and Fred in their midfield

5 Likes

One team, and they’re hardly one we measure ourselves against.

2 Likes

I guess we would be negotiating for targets ahead of schedule like we did for Diaz and as long we are not priced out, we might do it. But there is also the free agent or loan market as a last resort for us to get bodies in for short term solutions. For good or for bad, we are just not the kind of club who triggers big money buys just because we have a short term problem like how Klopp describes it

1 Like