The Central Midfield Thread

At £15m someone would bet on him playing in a less intensive system reducing his injuries and then you get a player for way below market value for his talent. Would almost certainly be outside the Premier League.

If the rumours are true about another long term injury this just isn’t gonna happen

Because he is better and has performed far better for us than Keita.

Because his contract isn’t up.

1 Like

Because we need him

1 Like

If Keita is properly injured we need to sign a midfielder, then he can sit on the bench till his contract expires. Especially after leaking to Sky Germany twice about his unhappiness about not playing, including 1 the day before the Utd game.

3 Likes

When we won everything with Fabinho, Gini and Henderson, its not as if its because the 3 of them are superman but its because the 3 of them brings balance. What Fabinho had were 2 workhorses who would cover every single inch of space in front of him and could focus on those that slip past them. However when Gini left, what we gain with Thiago, we lost in him too. Because Thiago can never press the whole match the way Gini did, that pretty much mean Henderson left to do most of that and you cannot expect him to do the work of 2 players. So that means if we wanted to play with Thiago, someone else in the team has to cover the spaces that Thiago could not. So to me, its all about finding that next balance. Our team has never been about 11 top class players, its about 11 players who can balance each other out so that we have a perfectly running machine. Since Gini left, we can argue that Thiago is a much more talented player but we have never been able to find a balance. Because if the other 10 players are still playing like if Thiago is Gini, then there will be gaps, there will spaces and honestly, its up to Klopp and the coaches to understand the current crop of players we have and find the 11 that can give us back that balance that won every single competition we could.

2 Likes

Neither Henderson or Fabinho were fully fit last night.

What the fuck is going on in training? Our preparation for this season has been absolutely criminal. 4 central midfield options injured with 2 playing half fit.

5 Likes

Do you mean fitness as in not enough training and conditioning or carrying injuries?

Coz to me it does look like the team haven’t finished preseason training. Or not done enough conditioning.

The whole team lacks our customary sharpness throughout the 90 minutes

Both were carrying knocks apparently, which makes sense given the substitution.

Genuinely don’t understand where this myth is coming from.

He’s usually been one of our best players on the pitch when he actually does play…

What are we doing in training!! What did we do during preseason!! Only Ali and Jota came in with pre-existing injuries!

Going forward, injury history has to be the no 1 criterion for player recruitment

It’s Bajcetic time.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on that one im afraid. He’s had a handful of really good games and a handful of absolute shockers. Everything in between has been okay but not anywhere close to what we anticipated he’d be when we shelled out £50m for him.

Might be why City only played 2 pre-season friendlies this summer.

Someone made the following comment on a FB page:

“ Anyone else think that given Trent has bulked up considerably and Gomez has changed squad number to a 2 and been given a long contract extension for a 4th choice centre back that the plan before all the injuries - that they’ve probably been preparing for all Summer - was Gomez to RB and Trent to Hendo’s position in midfield? It would give us more creativity from midfield and allow Mo to move further in. Because of the injuries we’ve had to swap back. I think the added weight has cost Trent some of his pace and mentally he’s struggling to fulfill a role he’d left behind.”

Trent would be good in possession but I’m not sure how good a midfielder he would be out of possession.

1 Like

My maths isn’t great but I make that the equivalent of around 15 full games worth of playing time COMBINED per season for the nine seasons they’ve collectively been at the club.

Average of 15 full games a season with 3 goals, 2 assists from an outlay of £87.75m.

And apparently we’re hanging all our hopes on Bellingham as he’s the only player who would be an improvement on this. Laughable.

That is just wilful blindness.

Several reasons would make me doubt this.

1. Selling Williams
  2. Gomez was good for about 3 games at RB before then I’d have not put him anywhere near that.
  3. the other guy is as green as anything.

If your suggesting it’s one of the options to replacing the three CMs I’m going say we aren’t replacing 3 CMs as in Elliott and Carvalho we already have two.

Your replacing 3 if they are as injury prone as the previous lot.

I assume Klopp wants 6 maybe 7 as he has said in the past he wants 2 for every position.

So that’s Thiago, Fabinho, Hendo, Elliott and Carvalho throw in Jones and your probably looking at 8 but with the age and injuries he is probably going to be looking at 2 in total.

Or an opinion that differs to yours and that doesn’t mean I’m wilfully trying to see him as a failure.

I was super excited for his arrival. He’s a player i’ve tried to get behind for a long time and have only recently become completely disillusioned with. For the fee, the hype and the performances he was putting in in Germany, what he’s delivered here has been vastly underwhelming in my eyes.

Let’s be honest, if he’d delivered what he’s done here at Chelsea or United or Spurs we’d be calling him a flop.

6 Likes

Trent is better out of possession than Elliot, almost anything is worth a go at this point.

It would be worth a go but our options at right back are limited. It’s Milner or Sepp for now. Gomez is the best option when Matip or Konate are back, he looks a better right back than he does centre back anyway.