The Central Midfield Thread

I would like to think Jones has done enough to be considered a starter going into next season, but in reality i think it’s all to play over preseason with the new signings as well. The old guard could well be starting for us if they show that they are fit and in form.

It will be interesting to see what midfielders we sign.

It looks like MacAllister, plus perhaps two from Kone, Thuram, Szobo and Gravenberch. Arguably we just sign Mac and one other, but I hope it is more.

MacAllister
Kone
Thuram
Jones
Bajcetic
Elliott
Not to mention Trent getting on the ball in the middle of the park, from his inverted fullback role.

That’s some excellent options to have, and that’s before we get to the old guard of Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago.

It feels to me like one of the old boys will have to go if we are going to bring in three midfielders, as the department will be too crowded. On the other hand, a few will be used sparingly.

Carvalho on loan yes, but Elliot no. He has to stay even though he’s not really a midfielder. He’s the closest we have to back up for Mo, in fact I think he could eventually be Mo’s replacement.

There, I’ve said it. Now you can all laugh.

1 Like

WIthout making radical statements about Elliott’s season or ceiling, he has played a pretty good amount of football this season and it wasn’t all bad. He provides us cover in 2 positions in midfield and attack. He doesn’t have to be branded this or that at the age of 20. I see him staying for now.

4 Likes

I was just pointing out it wouldn’t work.

Sorry I seemed to have touched a nerve.

1 Like

I do think it’s a problem that would need to be coached.

But as of now , he’s not quick enough to be a Salah backup… Nor is he playing passes well enough to be a midfield option.

If we end up buying James Ward-Prowse then I don’t care what other business we do this summer, we’ll have failed.

5 Likes

What if he is free and we sign 15 other players?

Life Fail GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

I do agree he is a slim version of Charlie Adam.

Pop Tv Please GIF by Schitt's Creek

3 Likes

I somewhat doubt it.

There hasn’t even been anything more than an opinion piece that suggested he would be coming here.

There is too much speculation about Macallister I feel not to be coming here.

1 Like

Bit harsh that Elliot is being blamed when none of Fab, Hendo, Vigril, Matip have covered themselves in glory when it comes to defensive duties. He has shown over a much longer period that he’s first team ready than Curtis. A team of players need to address each others weaknesses, and no one was there to cover for Elliot’s this season. That may well change next season.

2 Likes

Ward-Prowse will go to Villa or West Ham. For some reason I can just see him in Claret and Blue.

2 Likes

Burnley?

The stick Elliott gets blows my mind. He’s 20. Missed alomost a full season with a broken ankle. He’s progressing well ahead of schedule and gonna be a star, if fans get behind him

11 Likes

True, forgot about them.

MacAllister, Kone, Thuram, Gravenberch, Ugarte, Caicedo…etc. Already too much to fit into registration.
Funny how many midfielders miraculously appeared after total emptiness of last summer.

1 Like

Elliott is a good, young player with potential. It can also be true that he will find it hard time to find a place in this team. Personally I feel he has a better shot in midfield than he does in attack due to lack of pace. If he wants to find a spot in midfield he needs to develop a bit, particularly defensively. He may turn into an amazing player, but he may also not reach the heights many think he’ll reach. Still too early to tell, but my gut and eyes tell me he won’t. I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

I’d re-sign Gerrard before bringing in JWP