The European Union

2 Likes

I wonder what this means for Apple…

They will no longer be able to mug their fanboys off by overcharging them for ‘new’ products every few weeks

We have done a terrible job grappling with the implications of the modern digital/social media information ecosystem. Everything we know about how things gain traction align themselves better to the appeals the modern incarnation of the various right wing entities around the world have all coalesced around.

I think the point being made is that if the EU is the status quo and people are dissatisfied with their lot, then the perceived solutions to changing that are focused on how to change that status quo. Nationalism/independence/self-rule are obvious landing spots.

1 Like

Serious stuff, this:

And who is the most likely country to have bribed these EU officials? Qatar of course, the cunts.

As for this corrupt vice-president, she should get the ‘Cersei treatment’, a walk of atonement through the streets of Brussels. It would be fully deserved.

Who are the bigger cunts though?

The bribe givers or the bribe takers?

1 Like

Yeah, just added a paragraph while you wrote this.

Italy mourns one of the most corrupt and venal politicians since the second world war. The third largest economy in the EU is in the hands of proto fascists. What chance does liberal democracy have in the EU?

‘The Archbishop of Milan will lead Berlusconi’s state funeral in the city’s grand cathedral on Wednesday.’

Star Trek Reaction GIF

1 Like

I noticed the other day that the EU intends to introduce a framework for the use of AI:

Interestingly BILD have just announced that they will replace many of their journalists with Chatbots:

That appears to be a logical step: why pay people huge wads of cash to make up bollocks when a machine can do it for you.

Whether that means that they will be honest and say when a story has been artificially created is another matter. However, I can see a future where those media organisations that still hand-crank their news stories and, importantly, fact-check them are going to be holding premium content. The question is how that intellectual property can be protected from the many tentacled AI-bots.

1 Like

In the particular case of BILD I find it hard to imagine that this won’t be an improvement.

Must admit, I was surprised people actually write that bollocks. I’d always assumed it was 2 monkeys, 1 typewriter and 15 minutes per story.

1 Like

A significant amount of the news reporting ecosystem is people at one outlet reporting on a incoming details from newswires, or from a centralized outlet like the Associated Press. Current AI, the stuff getting all the attention at the moment can only really repackage information that is already available and so this sort of thing is a good avenue for it, and there have been several outlets that have already been doing this for years.

If newsrooms are getting crunched, as few places have really figured out how to make money digitally, using AI judiciously so more of your resources can be put towards more valuable things it cannot do, like investigative reporting, does make sense

1 Like

Real risk with this is they find the truth.

1 Like
2 Likes

Young people aren’t necessarily xenophobic (or, at least, won’t admit to being so), but they are poorly educated, due to the neoliberal education system that is designed to produce consumers rather than thinkers.

Keep the public poorly educated and they’ll be easier to brainwash with your propaganda.

3 Likes

I get the impression in the Netherlands that the nitrogen crisis is being played for populist political purposes as well. Some of the right wing populists are claiming that the problem is EU regulation rather than the lack of various regulations causing the problem in the first place.

The problem with populism is that it offers simplistic solutions to complex problems and these solutions almost always don’t work, because if they did the mainstream parties would have implemented them. That’s not to say that those affected don’t have legitimate concerns.

Unfortunately, the economic concensus over the last 40 years has been that free market economics is king. Where the pseudo religious element has crept in is that the belief that the results of a free market are always desirable. They aren’t, and the people who suffer most are those with the least assets: more often than not, young people.

4 Likes

And look where that has got us.

It has got us to a state where rising inequality and a lack of prospects is leading to ever increasing frustration. It’s uncomfortably similar to the 1930s.

4 Likes