The Grassroots Sports Thread

When I took the job I was warned that it was a mostly low-income group with disinterested parents who don’t like authority, with that info one of the first things I did when I came in as coach is implement pretty strict rules about swearing and referee conduct. Anyone who swears at practice or during a game earns 10 burpees for the entire team. Arguing with a referee is three laps of the field. After two practices this behaviour was pretty much eliminated. I’ve never had a single kid so much as throw a nasty look at the ref.

But as it happens the characterization of the group proved to be incorrect anyway, I have 20 of the nicest girls you could wish to meet. It was more likely that the former coach was incompetant (and trying to sleep with one of the players).

3 Likes

Tom Cruise What GIF

Yeah unfortunately true. He was a teacher at the school too. Literally a week after I joined the team as a volunteer coach we had a pre-season tournament where some parents heard him make some remarks to a player that were not appropriate. The players mother asked her daughter about it and she came forward to show the text messages she had been exchanging with him. Luckily it hadn’t gone too far at that point but it was way past acceptable. He was fired as the soccer coach, and I was promoted in his place, but he kept his job as a teacher (although he has now left the school and is not working with kids anymore).

1 Like

Glad he isn’t working with kids.

Fair play for instilling that bit of discipline. It makes a huge difference to the group dynamic

2 Likes

I have not followed NHL since the strike(s)/lockedout(s). I understand that the “new system” is that:
The NHL point system awards 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss in overtime or a shootout, and 0 points for a regulation loss. This system helps determine team standings throughout the season.

So, this happened this weekend. Was supposed to be three days of cricket but two days got washed out with only a 25 over game today. Absolutely fuming; one of the coaches of our team might very well, and probably has, cost my son a shot into the next round of trials by sticking him lbw when he was on 19 and looking the business. Hit him on the upper inner thigh on the pull, has a mark to show for it as well which he showed the coaching team.

Guy comes up to me as we going home to tell me to tell my kid not to walk across to which I ignored and walked away as parents of other kids from my Academy were present plus with my position, I have a bit of a standard to maintain but jeepers, what a fucking pompous, ignorant twat. Anyways, dominant team as usual, though but we not getting anyone through to the next round, selectors are looking for individuals and while we blew away the team we played, our sure fire prospects didn’t get anything substantial; my son, who got a clanger and another brilliant kid got run out for 0 by his partner.

We await the release of the next phase but entirely deflated this evening. Writing seems to be in the wall when looking at stats from other games and seeing kids get 70’s and 80’s and 5vers in shortened games.

1 Like

6-2 win for the girls last night in what is definitely our best result since I became coach - we beat a very decent team.

Last season we started to improve but if we got a win or a draw it felt like a monumental effort to get it - this result was different as it just felt routine.

14 goals scored in the first 5 games. Last season we scored 15 goals in 15 games. Star striker has 9, last season she finished with 8.

4 Likes

Massive win for us today going away from home to a rival school on their homecoming day and winning 3-1. First time we’ve even scored at their field in something like 10 years nevermind won the game.

My star player now has 16 goals and 2 assists in 9 games. After losing 3 of our first 4 games we have now lost just once in our last 5 and have a record of 4 wins, 4 losses and 1 draw. Averaging more than 2 goals a game (23 scored in 9 games).

The win also moves us up into a playoff spot that would give us a home tie in the first round. The school hasn’t hosted a home playoff game in over 20 years.

2 Likes