The Great TANdabidozi Pub Quiz

What? Fine Leg?

No, Venus :blush:

Winston Benjamin had a season playing in the same league as my club and they could have had this field as you could hardly lay a bat on him…

At our place he started his run up near the pavilion steps :rofl:

Benjamin originally burst on the scene in 1985 when he was given a Viv Richards scholarship to England in 1985. He played at Chester Boughton Hall Cricket Club in the highly rated Liverpool Competition and finished the season with 106 wickets at an average of 7.57, a best of 8-20 and five or more wickets on eleven occasions. Chester Boughton Hall finished the season as champions.

I missed Fly Slip and Long Stop, but not bad otherwise.

Good question Barry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prolix has the question.

1 Like

There are two known instances of warships being captured by cavalry. What are they?

Sounds like a Clive Cussler novel.

sounds like a Google to me. Who would know that?

1 Like

Thanks for your contribution.

wasn’t meant as a slight at you, sorry. it’s actually a very interesting factoid! obviously, a long time ago if there was a cavalry involved.

1 Like

Was it an ironclad during the american civil war?

that was my first guess, I was so far off. really surprising, actually.

I would guess Crimea War, but that is purely a stab in the dark as it was the last major battle that used cavalry

He says warships. It can mean Greek triremes as well.

One, the more famous incident, was during an 18th century conflict in Europe.

The 2nd, lesser known, was during a 19th century conflict in the Americas.

1. On 23 January 1795, during the War of the First Coalition between Revolutionary France and, well, everyone else, a Dutch fleet froze into place in a canal and was captured by a regiment of French Hussars.
  2. In 1818, during the wars of South American independence, a combined republican army came across a small flotilla of Spanish gunboats in the Apure River. General José Antonio Páez personally led a company of cavalry charging directly into the river at the boats, frightening the Spanish sailors into abandoning their ships.

As discussed on Mike Duncan’s Revolutions podcast. :slight_smile:

Apparently the first incident gets spread around on social media under the banner of The Only Time In History Cavalry Defeated a Navy!, but Duncan found the second story while researching the history of South American independence.

3 Likes

G’day, it’s me again. Got an easy one for yas…

How did the Sydney beachfront suburb of Manly get it’s name?