The Middle East Thread

A$$hole :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I’ve been contacted by a headhunter about working in Abu Dhabi.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Mark? Mark Clattenberg? Is that you?

It would be extraordinarily difficult for Netanyahu to refuse an exchange deal simply because the ratio is lopsided. Even the most bellicose members of the population also don’t see an exchange of X Arabs for 1 Jew as being problematic, that is the corollary of their willingness to exact asymmetric vengeance for those killed in October. If it was 1 for 1 and done, everyone would have gone home in November.

I’d clarify what they mean by head hunting :joy:

It’s a tricky situation. Some would say any involvement means you support their leaders and laws. Others would say look after yourself and your family, and if the money is good, do it. If and when you are there and there’s an opportunity to stick up for more liberal western values, do it.

I would probably do the latter, depending on the job and what it required.

On a more practical level, you’d have to consider the lifestyle as well. Obviously the pay is good, but what do you treasure? As far as I’m aware there isn’t that much to do in Abu Dhabi itself, and Dubai is like a playground for the rich, but if you’re not fond of the heat and you don’t like endless shopping malls then…

Is it life changing money ? Will your future prospects in other countries be better after a successful stint there ?

It’s good money, but that wouldn’t be the only reason. It’s a good job with a good organization where there are lots of ex-pats. The idea would be to work a few years then come back. I’ve been to Dubai but never Abu Dhabi. I’m in a good situation now but working abroad is of interest. Just not sure if it’s in the Middle East

It’s a tough call, but if it is a chance to build and expand your network then that is something hard to turn down. Especially if the people you’ll be meeting and networking with are ones you would likely not meet if you stay

I’m interested to know what it’s like to live there.

Sunni but Shi’i.

For all the talk about the ‘Israeli people’ not supporting the actions of Bibi and the IDF, this is the reality on the ground - the ‘settlers’ care only about keeping Palestinians as far away from ‘their land’ as possible and they are happy to keep killing women and children to do so:

1 Like

Would you expect people to have a different attitude ?

They’re the ones living on the frontlines. We know the reasons behind the attacks and who are the actors to blame for these. But it’s incredibly naive to suggest that people who’ve experienced rocket attacks by Hezbollah / Hamas etc would have an attitude similar to people who are living 1000s of Km away from the conflict ?

The average settlers aren’t blood thirsty people , they’ve been made to occupy these areas by vested political interests and have been given promises of safety by the Israeli govt (evidently fake promises). Any violence/terrorism by Hezbollah/Hamas effects them.

To say that they only care about keeping Palestinians outside their land is taking a simplistic view, they’ve been dealt this hand by the Israeli govt and are doing what they can to protect themselves from Hamas attacks. They aren’t the ones responsible for the shitshow , the Israeli govt is. They aren’t building settlements , the Israeli govt is the one making the settlements. They aren’t the aggressive land grabbers who force people off their land at gunpoint. The Israel govt gave them the land to occupy after clearing off the Palestinians from it , again blame the govt not the people.

As far as the settlers are concerned, this is their land. That’s what has been communicated to them. They see (rightly or wrongly) , Palestinians as outsiders. Their outlook is wrong but it is what it is. People getting caught in a political war. It’s natural from there to see how Israeli citizens regard themselves as victims because they are the ones facing incessant missile attacks etc etc(on a daily basis). People have simple minds at the end of , they see what they want to see.

To expect the majority ordinary people in Israel to have a different inclusive view is like expecting Palestinians to give up their hatred of Israelis. Just won’t happen.

1 Like

It will be a good standard of life. You’ll have a good closed circle (of ex-pats). And it’s a good experience as far as work life is concerned.

The food will be pretty great too. Alcohol isn’t that big an issue, you can get it if you want. The schools are pretty good if you have kids in that age.

Nothing much as far as tourism is concerned locally but that area is a huge hub for all the airlines and there are many countries which are easily reachable within 5-6 hrs flight etc.

I personally wouldn’t take a middle East job but that’s me. I know people who’ve had a pretty good time living in Bahrain, Dubai… especially IT employees and managerial level folks). Depends on the company ofcourse , but if a 3 year stint can lead to better career opportunities in other places , then it might be worth the move.

1 Like

I think that greatly understates the agency of the settler movement, although I think it is important to note that the article is talking about Hezbollah along the Lebanese border - which is not the settler situation. But the West Bank settlers have been more militant and aggressive than most Israeli governments, even some of Netanyahu’s earlier ones. As a political movement, they have always been pushing Israel away from any sort of compromise, to the point of engaging in political violence against more moderate Israelis (viz. assassination of Rabin).

4 Likes

:man_facepalming:

To echo @Arminius point, this has been the worst year for violence in the West Bank for 20 years or so. It has become so much a problem that the US felt compelled to issue an executive action that bans the perceived leaders of recent violence there from accessing US funds or coming to the US

As the situation in the Jordan border devolves claims that Isreal’s actions (both the government and that of its people) are motivated only by dealing with Hamas

1 Like

Not directly relevant to the discussion, but in that article this photo is somewhat startling

The caption is “Smoke rises from the Lebanese village of Markaba after Israeli shelling”. That is a WP shell airburst.

Yes. I meant to say along the Lebanese border when I referred to “average settlers”.

Even the rabid ones at the west bank are the ones who’ve been sent there by the Israeli government on fake promises.

Scum. White phosphorus shells.

2 Likes