The Middle East Thread

It is a bit of smoke-and-mirrors, in that there are no arm sales to halt. There are no existing applications to export, those have been ‘paused’ for a while anyway. All this actually means is the currently non-existent applications will no longer be reviewed on a ‘case-by-case’ basis. It is more the Liberals trying to solve a similar problem to that facing the Democrats in the US and Labour in the UK - they have traditionally been very successful at getting votes from the Jewish community in parallel with various Islamic constituencies. The NDP motion was intended to make that more difficult, and/or force some movement from the Liberals.

1 Like

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the ROTW think that Israel has to do these acts at some point and have become resigned to that eventuality.

Even now , the only token resistance that is coming from outside Palestine is the Iran fronted militia’s at Syria/Lebanon.

Saudi and the rest of the Arab countries posture but they aren’t taking steps whereby their relationship with Israel is permanently damaged. This leads Israel to think that the relationship can easily be repaired within a decade or so once the problem is eliminated.

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I guess countries like Canada are still some way off from taking any substantial/decisive steps against Israel (though it’s long overdue). In an earlier report on CBC I learned that Canada has been withholding/delaying delivery of some Armored Personnel Carriers (APC) to Israel since January.

These images are now so widespread that I don’t know if I have posted this before.

1 Like

How many genocides has the rest of the world actually stopped in the last few decades? There’s a lot of lip service, but what concrete action was taken to help the Rohingyas? The Uyghurs? The sad part is I’m sure there’s more but I’ve forgotten or not learned about.

bit hard to prove something that didnt happen isnt it though?

imagine if ISIS went unchecked for one
but many more suttle ones, i know this is a bit of a weird call, but imagine Putin unchecked, etc etc

id imagine theres alot of good work done diplomatically by alot of states that just doesnt register

1 Like

i know we like to self hate on British Colonialism and American Foreign Policy, but im sure there are many many situations where we should be thankfull for both countries (relatively) peaceful foreign policies

im guessing id better duck for cover now

Certainly, when they did become involved in the former Yugoslavia they probably did stop the already bad “ethnic cleansing” becoming worse. I get that feedback from people who served there with the UK/NATO forces. I also get the impression from those same people that their involvement in Iraq and, to an extent, Afghanistan that they only served to make things worse. However, I do think that was a function of the lack of planning for after military action.

I guess you can count on fingers the number of times the American foreign policy has been useful.

The zionist lobby at work. Scum

2 Likes

Yes - which remains unchanged, though I guess it makes that much more unlikely that there will be any movement on the file.

1 Like

Map of countries that Britain has invaded at some point in history

I do find it surprising that Sweden has never been invaded.

Yeah go tell that to people in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Somalia, Gaza, Kenya
. could go on forever.

It’s only the Americans and the British who see themselves as a force for good

3 Likes

The last time I remember America being a clear force for good in the world, in terms of foreign policy, was in leading a large coalition of countries to remove Saddam Hussein from Kuwait.

Everything since then has been dubious or worse.

3 Likes

Ever since the neo-lib lobby’s come to power , I don’t think America has been unequivocally seen as a force for good.

Some good may have come out of US’s warmongering post WW2. South Korea , Yugoslavia perhaps , but the vast cases of American intervention have been failures.

1 Like

W did surprisingly good things for combating HIV and Malaria in Africa. His program increased the number of patients being medicated by 1000s% and created an infrastructure that was largely credited with parts of Africa doing better with Covid than was expected.

1 Like

Yes. US aided programs helped a lot in terms of medical reach etc. If only they had stuck to that instead of propping up regimes etc etc.

On February 20, US vetoed the last UNSC resolution for ceasefire in Gaza. At that time they argued that the resolution would hamper the ongoing negotiations. One month on, the negotiations have gone nowhere but another 10,000 people have been killed.

Another thing that really worries me is why Blinken keeps visiting Saudi Arabia. The Saudis aren’t involved in the negotiations like Qatar, Egypt, and Jordan. What the hell is he scheming with MBS?