The Owners - FSG

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/european-super-league-latest-news-b1833392.html

1 Like

Money grabbing cunts. Get out

3 Likes

Not that I like the plans but UEFA etc are making some fucked up changes themselves too!

4 Likes

Honestly, I think enlarged CL will be way, way, worse than the ESL.

2 Likes

Having no domestic league and playing teams like AC Milan 4 times a year.

Nah I know what’s worse.

4 Likes

The idea was the super league would be instead of UEFA competitions but domestic leagues would still continue as far as I understood it. The leagues saying they’d kick clubs out is a consequence of UEFA and the leagues working together to try and resist it isn’t it?

2 Likes

At first, I wasn’t a fan of the super league, but after seeing how apoplectic it has made Gary Neville, I’m completely in favor of it.

14 Likes

They would have to… they will end up with 86 league clubs with no chance of anything more than a depleted top division otherwise.

1 Like

Neville knows the big six leave Premier league his sky sports cash cow is getting greatly reduced.

4 Likes

It seems that they are attracted to the US model of closed leagues being more entertainment based rather than competition based. Tons of money up for grabs, but nothin is ever really on the line except hope that your team can win a championship. The problem is the monopoly that the big pro leagues have, there’s no real competition, even when alternative leagues form, they get squeezed out. There are no more Cinderella stories, no more deep cup runs from minnows, etc

1 Like

Why would they? Its UEFA that are losing out. The clubs would be in the super league and then UEFAS CL and EL would be vastly diminished but the clubs would still be in their league. Those leagues saying they’ll kick out the clubs that participate sounds like empty threats to me. Isn’t this a European version of what happened with the Premier League? And the Premier League are complaining about something they did to exist in the first place?

3 Likes

The difference here is that the Premier League agreed to stay in the pyramid and help out the lower leagues. By locking in 15 teams with no risk of relegation, you’re destroying the competitive element.

They’d still be in the Premier League/La Liga etc. it’s a replacement for the CL. Not domestic league. Hence Premier League etc. backing up UEFA with threats to kick these clubs out of their domestic leagues if it goes ahead. Hardly a threat if that’s what they were going to do is it?

It’s not like the PL, they firstly had complete agreement with the FA, secondary the clause the EFL thought they had no longer was relevant.

Finally the PL could have sealed itself off but chose not too and allowed for relegation and promotion. It’s also quite fairly funded across the 20 clubs compared to this which would be 15 teams in an enclosed league.

Take Leicester, what would they have to play for? Or any of the other 13 clubs, I know some don’t care but I’m sorry this is depressing. If this was a new proposal for a European competition which was achievable on merit I would be a lot less down about it, even if it was effectively these clubs but AC Milan hasn’t been a top European club for a decade.

As an aside, as an example of how everything is currently hunky dory in the world of football greed with no changes required…

I have a BT Sport package on my phone… I still can’t watch an FA Cup semi final because I don’t have the super, ultra, upgrade or something.

They can still compete for the PL against some of the European super league teams (unless UEFA get their way and the PL kick the clubs out, otherwise Leicester would have a relatively easy run at it) and the CL.

Exactly same point I’ve made on other platforms. This outrage from fans who conveniently forget that the Premier League shafted the football league a shafting the football league has never recovered from.

2 Likes

If UEFA and the Premier League are that keen on averting a European Premier league, they are going to have to get around the table with something more constructive than threats to ban clubs from their competitions.

They are going to have to start talking seriously about issues like TV rights.

To be honest my primary concern about a European Super League is the carbon footprint.

3 Likes

What is going on is an absolute travesty.

Greed is killing football. European sport and especially football has its roots and rules. Domestic leagues, european competitions. Everybody has the chance to compete, surprising results do happen, even miracles. The small club will have their chances against the bigger clubs.
Now they try to create some kind of NHL or NBA model in football, treating the football clubs like the next franchise.
What about the other clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Villa, Leeds? Well, several rich guys together with J.P. Morgan say fuck off to every english club except 5 ot 6 and create a superleague spending crazy money, while the world is in a huge crisis - people are dying, others lose their jobs. Football fans can’t even attend matches, because of the pandemic. And maybe it is not a coincidence the moment to announce it - no fans on the stadiums, no one will tell them loudly what they think /like the Sunderland games several years ago/. Just a little and unpleasent noise in social networks…

At least Bayern Munich and the french clubs showed some sense and refused to play in this absurd competition. Looks like even $ity have not confirmed.

UEFA are also creating another stupid compettiton, but it is all about fuckin money.
Rich will get richer and poor will get pooreer.

Fuckin disgrace.

5 Likes

I wonder if the Premier League regret doing a number on Project Big Picture now?

7 Likes