The Owners - FSG

Total squad valuation.

I wonder what would be the valuation for PSG if you take out MbappƩ and Neymar :blush:

Thatā€™s extremely debatable.

We may have got better CB options in if the activity over the last 48 hours was during the whole month.

We might have brought whatever CBs in earlier which could have had a positive effect on some results that didnā€™t go our way and certainly that CB or CBs would have had an FA cup game for a more gentle introduction at the least.

Matip was always going to be injured at some point. If it hadnā€™t been during the window we wouldnā€™t have strengthened at all and be in real trouble now.

Edwards and the recruitment team have really pulled this situation out of the fire.

But FSG shouldnā€™t be given credit for taking so long to see the sense and act on what us ā€œFSG outā€™ersā€ (says someone more traditionally accused of being an FSG PR spy) were asking them to do before the window opened.

It didnā€™t take a lot of insight and Klopp is on record two weeks ago as having made the suggestion. They need to listen to the experts thatā€™s what intelligent people do. Nobody knows everything.

Iā€™m not FSG out and most of those criticising them over this arenā€™t either. We all also recognise just how terrible things are financially.

But FSG eventually realised that our future CL revenue (easily over Ā£50m possibly even an over Ā£100m impact on revenue) was under threat and that was worse than the financial strain of recruiting. As it turned out by EVENTUALLY trusting Edwards and Klopp theyā€™ve ended up in a situation with less than Ā£5m outlay anyway. But that Kabak loan deal isnā€™t secured unless LFC are bidding on alternative targets with real money made available by FSG.

Its OK to back 95% of what FSG have and are doing and rate them as responsible and ā€œgoodā€ owners but still call them out when they make mistakes that can and have cost us as a football club.

2 Likes

We signed a fourth choice in Ben Davies. Shrewd business, opportunistic. Good luck to the lad.

As for the third choice, once the extent of Matipā€™s injury was known we whipped up a flurry of activity in generating options, and as we did, some money was evidently made available, given the bid for Car, even though they didnā€™t sell at the last minute due to not finding a replacement.

We boxed clever, and brought in Kabak on a loan, with no obligation to buy. Keeps our options open. If he settles well and grabs his chance, we will get a good player at a good priceā€¦ something like half what we were quoted at the start of the season. If there are any question marks, Caleta Car, and others, will still be there in the summer.

We are adjusting to the new financial realities in the game while also doing some interesting business in the face of unprecedented misfortune in the one position. Against that backdrop we still look competitive and we have some wind in our sails for the second half of the season.

6 Likes

That is an incredibly mean-spirited assessment.

There are too many unknown factors to reach a conclusion that FSG dragged their feet, and should have acted earlier. Not least the state of the finances, which are obviously going to be a shitshow.

We donā€™t know whether these deals were available earlier in the window, and we donā€™t know the nature of the deals offered for players like Caleta-Car - they are also likely to have been loans or HP style deals.

Weā€™re frantically speculating on the basis of fragments of information.

4 Likes

We know the club was only looking to bring in a starting capable CB when the Matip injury occurred and we also know that he was always going to be out for a significant period between now and the end of the season.

Assumption - No proof, the evidence clearly points to us being quoted nearly double the price last year vā€™s what we ended up getting as the option on Kabak Ā£30mil vā€™s Ā£18mil option).

Assumption - How many of the games were due to conceeding? Maybe the Utd cup gameā€¦ Evidence points to woeful finishing which lead to draws or losses.

Assumption - You donā€™t have nearly 1% of the medical information on Matip. But on this point I agree all public evidence points to him being completly unreliable.

Assumption - You are simply going off what was leaked in the press, itā€™s a complete desrespect to the likes of Edwards to not think he had a shortlist and full expectations of price, wages etc. It was last minute due to the Financial impacts in world football

Assumption - Again you are twisting what Klopp said. He said a center back would help, but the right center back. What proof do you have FSG thought differently?

Everything is an assumption, based on your interpretation of the minimal information in the public domain.

The evidence points to Klopp getting 2 central defenders with a netspend of Ā£1milā€¦ Which is probably the best outcome we could have hoped for based on losing our 3rd defender for the rest of the season 2 days ago.

5 Likes

The first two arenā€™t assumptions they are possibilities as covered by me saying ā€œmight haveā€ and ā€œmay haveā€!

The pitch isnā€™t separate individual parts. The defence playing well impacts the midfield and attack. Henderson being in midfield instead of defence can also possibly have a positive impact.

It was last minute because everyone is saying it was the Matip injury that forced the rethink. Except you.

And Klopp literally answered the question in a press conference that it was not having the money to do deals. Donā€™t know why your opinion matters more than not only most peoples opinions but also all available evidence and a perfectly reasonable and logical chain of events.

1 Like

You understand the definition of assumption right ā€œa thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proofā€ā€¦ Saying might have or may have is just another way of saying you are making an assumptionā€¦

My view is we were bringing in 1 defender, the Matip injury pushed us to making a 2nd signing, but despite the urgency we didnā€™t deviate much from the long term strategy. The types of deals we did based on previous windows are only done very late in the day.

1 Like

First part may/might have are completely different than ā€œaccepted as true or as certain to happenā€. An assumption is ā€œwill/would haveā€!

Second part only if you continue to completely ignore and pretend the bids on Caleta-Car and multiple others didnā€™t happen because it doesnā€™t suit your argument.

Wait what? I am literally agreeing with you, hahaha fuck me itā€™s like arguing with a goldfish. The Matip injury pushed us to the Kabak deal (and the various other bids we clearly made for long term targets).

The irony of you using the example of a player we bid Ā£23mil for, after spending a week telling everyone FSG were refusing Klopp money. How does that even work??

1 Like

I think it was the nature of the injury, rather than the injury itself. We know Matip is injury prone, but the fact that he suffered a season ender is the change.

I think getting to the end of the window with Ben Davies added to Matip, Fab, Hendo, Nat and Rhys as the options, is OK - even working on the assumption that Matip is going to miss some games.

The club will have got the scan results and decided they had to act.

They got Kabak in for Ā£1m and moved Taki on for Ā£500k. There is nothing in that which suggests FSG shat the bed and happened to find loads of money to get a centre back. Edwards sorted it for half a million. I think the most likely point of compromise was actually on the Klopp/Edwards side rather than FSG. The Ā£1million net that we spent on Davies and Kabak was obviously there at the start of the window. Itā€™s not much money. The more likely thing that changed was Kloppā€™s willingness to bring in ā€˜a bodyā€™

3 Likes

Only way I see it is that you assume the club hasnā€™t done any homework and went for the most affordable option, evidently Kabak is on that list of players.

Marseille would have waited on Car to the last moment. To believe they would have scrambled around trying to please us for 23m I think is a bit silly.

And will they get that for him in the summer unless he is injured then yeah, good defenders arenā€™t easy to find and if he is as good as some say then he will fetch that and maybe more and that isnā€™t to say we wonā€™t go back even if Kabak excels.

Klopp needs to know who he can rely on, the injuries we have seen long term have little to do with overplaying. And a squad our size can miss players for 2-3 weeks, in frankly surprised we are where we are and even more surprised that we should be 4-6 points better off.

Has the team got one of the defenders it fancied? Yes.

Damn, that is some shrewd business done by Edwards! :rofl:

6 Likes

I wonder if you can even get Kebab for Ā£1 :wink:

5 Likes

Probably only the skewer without the meat.

1 Like

It is amateur psychology, you try and portray people as having personal flaws and being aggressive, citing examples that are often misrepresentations and lies about what was actually said.

Yet itā€™s you who is aggressively arguing with people all over this forum.

So what if some disagree with me, I accept that, I never said I know everything or am right.

In a forum like this, debate, about a subject we know a lot about, but not all the information about, but which we are passionate about, can rarely - if ever - lead to cast iron right and wrong arguments.

But many disagree with you, and quite a few have commented, including in private messages to me, that youā€™re one of the most irritating people on the site.

This is supposed to be a place where we all share a common love of something, even though weā€™ve all supported the club for different lengths of time, and to different degrees, including how many matches weā€™ve been to.

So itā€™s kind of disappointing that the place degenerates into factions, that arguments get so heated, and that things get so personal.

Letā€™s just agree to not engage again, I prefer not to use the ignore feature, as I like to see threads in full, but I really canā€™t be bothered wasting more time on this.

2 Likes

:+1:t5:
Fsg in.

3 Likes

You more than play your part in this. Donā€™t act like an innocent little flower. If you want to see threads not end up polarised and fractious, you could consider your own role in this.

Have a look at the message Iā€™m quoting ffs.

5 Likes

In Iceland they have someā€¦priced in this region.

1 Like