The Owners - FSG

Hendo is at the age where he needs to decide if he wants to play for Liverpool or England. He can’t do both.

5 Likes

surely he cant play for engerlund unless hes at LFC?

be tough though, wouldnt it…having played for your country and knowing that the curtain is closing.

i know we make light of international football, and look at the pragmatic side of it all…but imagine having had a stellar career and seeing it slowly wind down…

in amongst all the pride at looking back, there’d be this whole…‘maybe just one more dance’ …

i mean, im a hack, and i still play because, well, basically, if your not playing, your not playing…

3 Likes

Surely Hendo will want to go for the next world cup in 2026??

A 36 year old Jordan Henderson.

Euros at 34 you’re pushing it but I can see it but the guy is a once a week player already.

2 Likes

I remember listening to Darran Gough talk about leaving England. Yes he had a great career and played for England for a long time which most of us would kill for. But when he left it was very much that the door was shut and he should fuck off. Almost brought a tear to the eye. I guess the higher you rise, the harder the fall when it inevitably happens.

2 Likes

I seem to remember that Phil Neal’s England career ended on his 33rd birthday when he was told that he wouldn’t be selected again which seemed pretty harsh at the time.

1 Like

Tô be honest Henderson got England to tick at the World Cup.

So I’m not surprised to see him in again, if Southgate was wise he wouldn’t be playing these games.

1 Like

“Jordan, do you anticipate playing in the next competition”

“Yes boss”

“You’re in”

Simple.

It’s fair enough that any individual can have the desire and passion to play for their country.

Still, as a one eyed Liverpool fan, I want Henderson to bin it off.

We are struggling this season. Henderson has been too. We rewarded him with an over generous contract.

I know it doesn’t work like this but I want to see him laser focused on living up to that, and playing for us this season like he did for England at the World Cup - helping to hold the side together.

1 Like

Once we’ve confirmed the signing of Bellingham, there’s no need for Hendo or Trent to play for the national team ever again :wink:

1 Like

Anyone has any idea how much would FSG be likely to raise from this sale?

At the time they acquired the team in 2007, it was reported that “[n]o price was disclosed, but the values of minor league teams can vary from roughly $5 million to $30 million”.

So don’t get your hopes up.

1 Like

no being up to speed with american sports, what would be the thinking behind buying that club?

You mean when FSG bought it, or the new buyer?

Salem Red Sox are in the Boston farm system. It may have been when they bought Salem, they wanted tighter control of their developmental pathway - most MLB teams have contractual relationships with lower level clubs, often decades old, in which they control the players but the clubs are otherwise independent.

In terms of who would buy it now, most of those A-AAA clubs are not terrible businesses, so a local business group might see an opportunity to have a decent cash-producing business, a little bit of vicarious enjoyment, and presumably the occasional warm welcome to the owners’ box at Fenway. A single-A team wouldn’t be a particularly large investment.

2 Likes

The North-East has great support for those minor league teams too. I know the Portland Sea Dogs - who are not FSG owned - have been a very successful and sustainable business.

It does…but that particular Salem is in Virginia, plays in the Carolina League

1 Like

I hope that this is not our summer kitty or we will struggle to reach 10th place

1 Like

Oo didn’t realise that.

1 Like

So not enough for Bellingham? :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes, the Salem not far from Boston is rather better known.

1 Like