The Owners - FSG

Did they actually? Or is this just more exaggeration from the “media”?

Last I checked, only Edwards and Ward were officially confirmed by the club to have left or be in the process of leaving. Ian Graham was strongly rumoured to be leaving, but who else is in that category?

And all 3 of these have been with us for a long time, is it inconceivable that they might have decided to try something new?

1 Like

Also wonder how much that would (assuming it’s true for a moment) have contributed to our backroom departures. Jurgen may need to be reigned in again on the recruitment front and learn to trust the system re player renewal if he wants to stick around longer term (although I’m guessing he’ll probably want to move on before then)

Edit:. See:

Maybe it’s not so much them as their partners/dogs/neighbours cats. Better they take it out on FSG here than on those sentient beings (or homes if they have one of those new type). Think of TAN as a sort of therapy service.

1 Like

Misery loves company?

We sort of had the same discussion here, in particular around Salah’s contract. The fact that he is 31 in a few weeks puts him firmly in the group pulling the average past the ‘right age’, and two years ago he would have represented an enormous amount of value that could have been reinvested into the side.

It appears to me a decision was made to keep the core together for one more throw of the dice rather than moving aggressively to retool. Was that a mistake? Given that we were heartbreakingly close to a quadruple season, it is hard to say that it was - but that gamble came with a significant cost. Worse, I think it misled the club (and most of us) into thinking that there was perhaps one more one more throw of the dice with only minor changes to the core.

4 Likes

In his defence, he has been fit for most of this season if not at his best - which may be related to problems elsewhere on the pitch. Meanwhile you have Keïta, 28; Oxlade-Chamberlain, 29; Arthur Melo, 26: Curtis Jones, 22; and Fabinho, 29, who have spent the best part of the season out injured or wildly out of form. That’s just the midfield. It’s not just an age thing. We should have had players who could start to step up and take over the older players.

The fact that we were leaning so heavily on Bajčetić at 18 indicates just how messed up the core age group of the squad is.

3 Likes

It is not at all a criticism of Salah, simply a function of how players’ value declines dramatically past the age of 30. By this time next year, his possible transfer value will be at best 25% of what it would have been in 2021. We had a significant group of players hitting that ‘last contract’ category together.

The fact that the only ‘right age’ midfielders we have are Keita (questionable body and mentality, headed for the exits) and Melo (deadline stop-gap) says it all.

4 Likes

Just been discussing with a fellow red on LFCTVGO and he brought something to my attention which was very…harrowing. Our official balance sheet (which I still can hardly believe tbh). From the 5 seasons 16/17 to 21/22 our total wage bill was almost 1.8 billion.

I would position this slightly differently. For whatever reason, the evolution of the forwards has probably happened more suddenly than they hoped would have been the case a couple of year ago, and the midfield less than they hoped (mini didnt work out, Jones has been absent too much). So I think part of the thinking with the midfield was a less a last roll of the dice, and more a decision to try to maintain continuity so we dont have multiple areas of the pitch trying to learn their roles at the same time, in addition to young kids we’d hoped would have already stepped in to contribute still learning off the guys who know the role.

It was clearly a gamble, but the reality every decision is a gamble.

2 Likes

don’t feed the

Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Harrowing? Reading that was harrowing? Ok.

What is Manure’s/Chav’s/Arsenal’s wage bill out of interest?

Never mind City’s we know it’ll be a massive porky.

1 Like

Favourite past time.

From an interesting conversation from my Leeds contact Ward may not of resigned.

1 Like

That is interesting. Does he mean he was encouraged to resign or he’s changed his mind?

Weren’t the club shocked by it?

Liverpool is not the Trump administration it’s not that basically it’s a flip of the rumours.

They were believing its the first one.

Why?

If they did know they didn’t elaborate. I will have another fish next time im at Thorp Arch.

This is interesting. I mean, Edwards hasn’t signed anywhere else, so, there could be a chance , sort of, maybe :grimacing:

I had a feeling he might actually head back here.

I assume he was paid well but wouldn’t surprise me if he was taken back into the FSG fold at the very least.

1 Like