The Owners - FSG

and now that they haven’t won it in 5-6 seasons, their entitled little fan-base brains are blowing up :exploding_head:

nevermind they lost Betts to Dodgers, Ortiz to retirement, Pedroia to retirement, etc etc…

the money signings in baseball have gotten so rediculous, I don’t blame FSG one bit.

if you don’t understand that, look at the story of Fernando Tatis Jr and how his signing has completely fucked San Diego

only fans I feel sorry for are Oakland

3 Likes

I find it hilarious anyone uses the Penguins as a stick to beat FSG with, I did some reading before and they purchased a massively aged squad on high contracts… So clearing out the head office which allowed that seems the right thing to do…

That’s why this summer is key, Klopp needs help getting in the right players. We need to go back to the Salah, Mane, Robbo, Gini type signings, not the Nunez level ones.

2 Likes

I have no clue how American Sports leagues work, do the baseball teams get relegated?
We have won the EPL once in 13 years under FSG. I don’t think they can use the same model all the time to the fast pace intense EPL and European leagues.

same

less than 18mo in ownership and they’re already losing their minds at the owners because they missed the playoffs. but there’s a reason why they did and you nailed it. that team was old and tired.

Reminds me of someone on here saying its “torture” that we haven’t won the CL since 2019 :joy:

2 Likes

that’s the problem with NA sports, there’s no relegation system for professional sports.

1 Like

Yes Real once went 32 years from 1 champions league victory to their next, then won 5 in 10 yrs.

In the EPL, clubs cannot afford to get relegated, it is a massive blow and loss of income, TV rights and it is very hard to get back to EPL. In Championship league, they play more games I think, forty-two?

I don’t think they do use the same model - unless by model you mean sustainable business.

No teams don’t get relegated in baseball. The Red Sox lack of a championship “The Curse of the Bambino” was so legendary that getting over that hump was a genuinely huge moment.

It may be only 1 PL title since they took over but that’s stripping it of context. They didn’t take over a team in a position to compete. They took over a shell of a club with few assets who had been ran into the ground on the pitch and off it by the previous ownership group. Not to mention that had they not been up against another club who have been charged with cheating during that same time period then we would have won at least two more titles.

4 Likes

“I went online and found someone complaining about something and therefore that thing is a real issue” - that really is an interesting way to advance a position.

5 Likes

More quotes from Klopp on FSG…

Turns out the budget is set solely by the owners and the transfer team has to work with what they get from the owners…

As it should be.

7 Likes

Somewhat flawed analogy here.

i) The NHL has a draft, and a salary cap. The Penguins have had the great fortune to arguably have landed two generational talents over the past 30 years, all-time greats in Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby - and the good fortune to get real superstars to accompany them (Jagr, Malkin). Two picks have all but assured them of contender status for most of those 30 years. Their situation really cannot be compared to any other team in the NHL.

However, Crosby is winding down, and they are facing the consequences. The Penguins have been drafting in the last 6-8 for a long, long time now. That builds up into a lack of real talent depth compared to the rest of their conference. One can do only so much in NHL free agency. Pittsburgh are a small market team, but it isn’t as if they have let a lot of talent walk away. In a draft-defined system, being consistent to the semi-finals over many years sort of hurts, because it creates downward momentum.

ii) Red Sox - more complicated. Yeah, FSG probably have been complacent in the end. But notable that those quotes are all comparing the Sox to the Rays. The Rays have structural momentum, because they sucked for years and have lots of high draft picks in their system. More than anything though, they haven’t lost yet. They are approaching the all-time best start record. No one really thinks they won’t slow down at some point. The real story here is that the Red Sox are now in a division with four real contenders, and a fifth that is doing a solid job of becoming relevant too. Their problem is not the Yankees anymore. The Yankees may be the richest team in baseball…but they are in 3rd in that division.

4 Likes

Uggh. American sports. AFL is bad enough but that stuff… :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Total agree. No interest whatsoever

1 Like

Oh Maria. Too much information.

2 Likes

Well yes, obviously. Did you think our coaches just pick a random figure? Like wheel of fortune or something?

4 Likes

Guess Klopp did not guess the puzzles correctly :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

id say not enough info…or photos…