The Owners - FSG

I’d let Firmino and Mane go first. I don’t think anyone will get Haaland this summer though. Not with a clause of around €70m or something next year, nobody would pay what it would take. Sancho and Mbappe are the big targets that may be on the move this summer. Salah for Mbappe may make me pause but doubt it’d be that as it would more likely be Mbappe in for Mane out, possibly with Firmino to go too in the need for balancing the books. Could we then change shape to either 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond with 2 from Mbappe, Salah and Jota? It’d be tempting. But unless this deal for the 10% of FSG comes off I don’t see us having the cash reserves to balance the books, possibly cope with not making CL and bringing Mbappe in even if both Firmino and Mane left to bring in money.

1 Like

So where’s the RedBird money, John :thinking:

1 Like

Mighty Red, who I’ve never fully trusted, has already syphoned it off into his Panamanian bank account.

The cunt.

7 Likes

We would need another option, we’ve moaned about hoping no one gets injured out of the front three for about three years and now we are looking to rely on that again.

1 Like

Selling proven strikers for just 75mil and ploughing it or even more onto flavors of the month who might not make it in the PL? No thanks. 150m for any of Salah, Mane or Firmino, I rather they stay and we add good value players we can develop rather than players like Mbappe as much as I like him, we have more to lose from Mbappe tanking in PL than a reckless club like Chelsea or Man City.

1 Like

So if you could sell Firmino for £75m and get Haaland or Mbappe for £100m you wouldn’t do it?

3 Likes

Yes I would not. Is Haaland or Mbappe for 100mil guarantee to give us the great contributions that Firmino has for the last few seasons? Of course no one could. But I would sell Firmino for 75m and get someone who is under the radar still like Silva for maybe around 40m.

1 Like

Yes! Firmino really hasn’t been that special mate and I’m a fan. This is like when Everton fans start Jelavic v Suarez style conversations sorry. Mbappe is one of the best players in his position in the world, not just for his age. Haaland looks like he will be a true special player. Only their own egos can stop them going in the history books. If Mbappe is flavour of the month then so is Alexander-Arnold and Salah is a one season wonder. If that’s the criteria Firmino has never been more than an OK player instead of a great player who should be remembered fondly by us when he does leave.

1 Like

Guaranteed like when we criticized the club for now going for Werner, a supposed sure win player for just 40+ mil? Flavour of the month does not mean I think they are bad players, as I mentioned I like the player Mbappe, its just that he is going to be seriously overpriced. But he has performed really well ONLY in the French league, just like Werner was really ONLY great in one league, not even Klopp can guarantee that a player like him be great. If we had not learnt from how Klopp and Edwards and the club are so good at, and that is identifying players who can be very good at a good price, we have done that with Salah, with Mane, with Robbo, why are we so fixated with Haaland or Mbappe?

Of course I am not the one running the club, as a fan, if Klopp really thinks Mbappe is the only one he wants like he did with VVD, and the owner is willing to back him to the tune of more than 100m, then as a fan, I would of course be happy but I am definitely not going to be fixated on those flavours of the month. There are so many other good players out there.

1 Like

You jest, surely. Nothing is ever, ever truly certain in football but those two are about as close to being nailed on as is possible without actually being nailed on.

3 Likes

Bad examples. For one Klopp has been trying to get Mbappe here since the summer before his big breakthrough season at Monaco. We also tried the summer he moved to PSG.

I was one of the few not on the Werner hype train but there’s a million miles difference between Werner and Haaland and another million miles to Mbappe.

Werner is better than bad management at Chelsea has shown but you’re talking a 24 year old with 91 goals in 222 league appearances against a 20 year old with 30 in 33 in the same league and a 22 year old with 98 in 140 in a lower scoring league. Mbappe has 24 goals in 41 games in the CL.

Mbappe isn’t just proven in the French league he’s been tearing top clubs apart in Europe and the reason PSG made the CL final last year. He’s also been exceptional at the international stage. Yet again you are comparing him to Firmino here, what has he done? He’s been important to the way we’ve played the last few years before teams have started to set up to nullify us and forcing Klopp to change things. But he’s hardly dripping in goal contributions is he?

1 Like

Perhaps. Every player that Klopp decides on always have a good chance to make it great. I was banging on more on the value proposition of spending 100m or more on nothing that is guaranteed. I am not against buying players to give more competition or even replace players like Firmino etc.

1 Like

If you even have to ask that, I think you have not been watching the same club that millions of other people around the world. But I always respect individual’s right to differ. So I will leave this at that.

And as I had said in other posts and again, who can guarantee that spending more than 100mil will give us 100% what we need? Who? No one. So as I say again, I am not against replacing players, we have to eventually and we will be damned if Klopp and Edwards are not hard at work behind the scenes doing that considering our front trio is almost 30. But I rather we go for another ‘Jota’ type than a ‘Haaland’ or ‘Mbappe’ type. As a fan, if we go for the latter two, I would be happy but I for a club like ours, buying big like those are exceptions rather than norm.

1 Like

Nothing in football, or indeed life, is guaranteed. Except death, and the taxman I suppose. You just have to get the best option you can and work with it. 75m for Bobby and 100m for either Mbappé or Haaland? Hand, off, bitten. Immediately.

4 Likes

Nobody’s paying £75m for Firmino. Absolute dream land hypothesis, he’s worth less than half that to anyone else. Equally, anyone getting Haaland or Mbappe for £100m is getting a bargain.

So, I’m sorry, anyone who wouldn’t sell a soon-to-be 30 yr old Firmino for £75m and buy a 22 yr old Mbappe or a 21 yr old Haaland (he turns 21 in the summer) for £100m is either insane or is Ed Woodward in disguise.

10 Likes

Again as a fan, I would love those 2 players, but does not represent good value to me. There are plenty of Salahs, Manes, Jotas, Robbos, Fabinhos to be discovered. Haaland and Mbappe are not the only 2 players that can be great.

So its just a matter of perspective between what I think and what some of you think, and that is fine. What I think we can all agree thought is that we definitely need at least a couple of players, good quality ones in this summer.

1 Like

Perhaps it can be said the same for those who decides that 100m on nothing guaranteed. What did we say about those oil rich clubs who spend like nothing on players? If the club decides its worth it, great. But my opinion, nope for me.

1 Like

Sorry, but Firmino plus £25m for either of those two players would be unbelievable value. Upgrading the team now and for years in the future with players whose values will only increase (providing they stay fit) once we’re through the pandemic for a cost of £25m…you’d make that deal every single time.

5 Likes

Sure. Don’t agree, but you are entitled to a different opinin of course.

I think you’re focusing on the £100m part too much in the scenario that’s been put to you. Is it a risk to spend £100m (net) on Mbappe or Haaland and then likely being unable to improve other areas? Yes, absolutely. But the scenario was that you’d be paying £25m more than what Firmino’s “value” was put at. That’s a bargain. Mbappe and Haaland would be, in reality, worth at least £60m more than Firmino this summer.

5 Likes