The Steven Gerrard Thread

Soft soaping Stevie up to take over the reins from Ole Gob-Shite
Yeah right… :rofl:

Well he wouldn’t be the first captain of Liverpool to manage United :wink:

8 Likes

Love Stevie G. Think he’s well underrated as a player by a lot of our fans. For me best midfielder in Europe by a country mile for a while.

I like the look of him as a manager too. Took a humble job at LFC. Moved to Rangers and won the league in a way that will be hard to better.

I think the Zidane comparison above as to their demeanour was spot on. Just goes about his job in an understated way but has a steely side to him that will help him make tough decisions. Completely different as a manager than he was as a player. Same with Zidane. Think Zidane was sent off about 9 times as a player.

Hope Stevie G carries on in the same vein. Would love him to do with LFC what he deserved to do as a player. Lift the premiership trophy.

7 Likes

He’s done a lot better as a manager than I thought he would. I was reading something the other day about his attitude as a young player - that he was obsessed with improving and doing whatever was necessary to get to the top. If he brings that to management, he’ll have no trouble.

6 Likes

I initially felt Rangers was a difficult to team to be able to gain an understanding of his mangerial abilities.

I’d expect both Neville’s, Lampard and even Scholes to be able to finish 2nd with Rangers in that league, but that wouldn’t necessarily mean they were good managers. Even our very own John Barnes’ Celtic team managed to finish 2nd and he’s perhaps remembered as one of the worst Celtic managers ever.

Finishing 1st was obviously the key achievement, but to do so over a Celtic team that so recently won the treble treble, to do so by 25 points, to do so unbeaten and to do so while showing over his three seasons a better understanding of how to compete in Europe than competition than Brendan Rodgers; suggests that Gerrard may just have what it takes to maintain a successful managerial career.

I have no love for Rangers, but it was enjoyable to watch their success because of Gerrard and I can’t wait to see where and when his next challenge wil be.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Same for me, he has really surprised me. That Rangers job had become a poisoned chalice over the years, and I expected him to fail quite quickly. Instead of that, he turned everything around there really nicely.

I wonder whether he’s staying a while yet, or will be tempted to move back to England at this point. After all, he can’t really do better with them than what he’s already done. Maybe confirm his good job for a further year, and then move on to the PL? He won’t be short of suitors I think.

3 Likes

Long overdue. :muscle:

Stevie was about the only one I was happy for with that Rangers title win. People joke about the Scottish league, but it wasn’t an easy feat to turn around that team and overcome such a hegemonic Celtic machine.

1 Like

He should probably do another year, see how they get on in Europe and then move back to England. He’s well exceeded my expectations so far.

2 Likes

1 Like

I guess that’s pretty doable for Rangers. The hardest will be the play-off though. :crossed_fingers:

Celtic and St Johnstone? That reads as I’d they are both drawn to play the winner of Gala and PSV. Still wouldn’t give them much chance!

3 Likes

That’s how you do it Brendan!

1 Like

Only pre-season, but it’s still a good sign of things to come for Stevie and his boys! :+1:t2:

Perhaps his first big big test as a manager now. How quickly can he stop the bad run of results?. Can he motivate the players, or will using the stick as he seems to have done recently lead to disharmony in the squad?

Not a recent thing. It’s been his mantra when they’ve lost since becoming a manager.

1 Like

They were abysmal tonight with a man advantage. Really should have got through that tie.