The Steven Gerrard Thread

1 Like

Of course, it’s my birthday.

What else is happening?

You’re celebrating Villa beating United at home and Gerrard FINALLY getting Ole sacked. 68?

Managers often try to sign a player or two they’ve worked with. I wonder if Ryan Kent might follow him? Always a great talent that lacked only a footballing brain.

1 Like

I imagine that Gerrard just couldn’t pass up the opportunity of working with the Fernando Torres of finance.

i’m looking forward to see if he is willing to pay the £17M he asked for Morelos in 2020

Unfortunately this looks done.

Would be smarter by Stevie to wait for the Leicester job.

Could see Lampard take over from Rodgers.

Rangers fans will be livid

1 Like

None of them had won titles before getting a role at a top club, so that doesn’t really support your point. If our club legend becomes manager in 2024 he’ll have a lot more managerial experience than Zidane or Conte did when they took over the clubs they were legends at

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

Not sure how to explain.

While Zidane has won stuff i have the feeling he was kind of lucky to be at the right place at the right time and won’t have such a big success in the future.

Gerrard, Xavi and Pirlo are also football geniuses but they will all fail in the long term imo.

Xabi for me is the ultimate football genius. He was a managers dream on the pitch for all of his managers. A proven winner wherever he went.

The international network he has built during his playing days is priceless. Speaks Spanish, English and German.

Can not see Gerrard work in Germany, Italy or Spain and be successful. Can not see Xavi or Pirlo be successful in England.

But Xabi will be a winner wherever he goes.

Bayern offered him a job in management two years ago already. Real are also fighting to get him in.

2 Likes

Mmmmm Gerrard to Villa. Not sure what I think.

Also Pep Ljinders left us for a bit to manage in Holland didn’t he? It went very bad for him if memory serves.

Maybe working under Klopp stands him in good stead but I’m not sure I want a newby as manager after Klopp. Imagine how big them shoes are going to be to fill.

I’m not sure what that has to do with my point of view at all. I’m not saying that Gerrard would be an absolute certainty to fail here if he got the job. There isn’t an exact science to what profile of manager should be hired at any given point, rookies and seasoned pros alike can both be as likely to succeed or fail. Again, I said my preference is for us to hire as close to a sure thing as possible, those managers all have a proven track record of winning things now. I doubt 3 years at Villa will do much to change that and in my own mind, I’d feel a lot more secure with somebody of that ilk in charge.

I’m curious to know, if you take the playing history of the man out of the equation, would people still be happy with the idea of us hiring somebody to replace our greatest manager in decades with somebody who’s won a single title in Scotland and erring on the side of positivity let’s say gets Villa competing for EL places for the next three years? Should his ties and status within the club really count for that much? This ownership now views us as a global superclub, in order to act that way I think you have to take emotion out of the decision and hire the absolute best manager you can.

I think this could be a good test of Gerrard’s ability to step up. Before this season, I thought Villa had the momentum coming back on a pretty good season ending in 11th and in summer spent well on paper getting in 3 very good players, Ings, Buendia and Bailey, strengthening a good core of players so I thought they would be stronger and might challenge for the EL or ECL places. But it did not exactly happened and thats why Smith went. So with a good group of players who do not seem to be playing well as a team to get results, it would be a test of Gerrard’s ability to harness the strengths and make them play as a team because on paper, they have a team of players who have abilities to challenge for the European places outside of CL. This is quite different for example taking over Norwich who is more about avoiding relegation so I think it might be the right club size and ambitions for the next step of Gerrard’s career. It might not sit well with the Rangers fans of course who will see him as abandoning ship at a midway point of the season…

2 Likes

This will be a great appointment for Stevie to show something cos let’s face it he wants the LFC job long term and he needs more than just Gers on the resume.

3 Likes

I thought that as well but checking out one of their forums, most seemed pretty sanguine…and many were wishing him well.

I was amazed that one particular post had 70 likes :flushed:

Wouldn’t it be great to have that level of forum interaction… :wink:

3 Likes

Why would you do that? He’s a club legend, that’s absolutely part of the equation

Klopp is irreplaceable. There’s no one else like him in football. His personality, leadership, ability to say the right thing and inspire a football club and a city. We need to get that idea out of our head. The next manager will need to bring something different because any attempt to replace Klopp with someone Klopp-like is destined to fail

Yes, of course it should. That’s why Kenny and other club legends are kept close

We need to hire the best manager for us. And if Stevie is a success at Villa he should be part of that discussion at least. Emotion is a massive part of our club. Klopp harnessed that. Stevie possibly could too, in a different way. None of us know if it would work, but the fact that he was our beating heart for over a decade absolutely will be part of the deliberations

2 Likes

Hey Nostradamus, maybe have a word with Christian ASAP

1 Like

I’ve got to admit that I’ve tried to imagine LFC beyond Klopp’s time and I honestly cant see where we can go other than looking at Gerrard or maybe Alonso. But I’ll admit that my wider football knowledge these days is more than a bit pants. I can tell you lots about Paw Patrol though.

I like what Gerrard is doing to be fair to him. He’s forging a solid career and doing well away from us. He’s properly spreading his wings and building his own identity.

2 Likes
2 Likes