The TV Thread redux

Don’t subscribe to P.+…was wondering if it was worth…ahem…acquiring

1 Like

if only there was a place where you could type in a question and get an answer?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s absolutely brilliant. I described it previously as being like Lord of the Flies meets Lost - a girl’s soccer team gets stranded in the wilderness when their plane goes down and sink into depravity in an attempt to survive. It switches back and forth between the timeline of the crash and 20 years later with the survivors who made it home dealing with the consequences of what they did to survive. It’s really well done and the cast is incredible - Melanie Lynskey, Christina Ricci and Julliette Lewis

It’s on a service I dont get (showtime) but am going to get a month once S2 is fully available to run through it.

1 Like

Just FYI there’s a Mandalorian easter egg on google today. If you google Mandalorian, scroll down a bit and Grogu will appear and if you tap him then more things happen.

Also a not super obvious cameo in todays episode.

1 Like

Im kind of burned out with it. I wasnt as enamored with the first 2 seasons as most other fans, and never got around to watching Boba Fett, which I understand you should watch to understand some of this season’s story lines. Not sure I can work myself up for it.

I am half way through the latest series of Jack Ryan, and it continues to be nothing more than disappointingly mediocre TV. Every season I get intrigued and every season it leaves me meh.

The Book of Boba Fett was so bloody awful that they actually (and I kid you not) inserted a full episode of the Mandalorian into it. Andor was OK if you’re bored.

1 Like

it’s really just a Tom Clancy book brought to live action, but missing character development. Am in Season3 and whilst it’s a decent bit of mind-numbing action TV, they’ve already deviated from the love interest plotline which set up the previous season.

1 Like

Yeah, Boba Fett was dreadful. Obi Wan was bang average, and so with my expectations suitably lowered I went into Andor ready to be disappointed.

I thought it was cracking telly. The best Star Wars to come out of the Disney stable by an absolute mile.

2 Likes

Sadly that’s like saying I’m the best elephant juggler in my house. The major criticism of it is it’s very slow hence my comment. Like you, I really enjoyed it.

Mandalorian season 3 continues to be a vehicle to sell Baby Yoda toys. Ep4 at times actually looked like Star Wars.

Next Picard out tomorrow, very exciting as it’s brilliant. Amazing that the closer these creative vandals get back to original material, the better they get. Odd that.

Now Sony is in charge of Dr Who, there’s hope there as well. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I’ve just started two new series. Picard series 3 (I’m 3 episodes in) is fantastic. It has (without giving too much away) a Wrath Of Khan vibe about it. It feels more like action-adventure Star Trek than the more ponderous first two series and I’m loving it so far.

I’ve also started a series called Funny Woman. It’s based on a Nick Hornby book and stars Gemma Arterton as a woman from Blackpool trying to make it in TV comedy in the 1960s. It’s light fluff telly but I enjoyed the first episode.

2 Likes

I though it was Disney+ that was doing the global distribution? The production is Bad Wolf (who did His Dark Materials) but it was set up by the producers that did the 2005 doctor Who revival.

1 Like

Owned by Sony :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wasnt Bad Wolf the name of the company or TV station in the episode set as a big brother tv show?

1 Like

It was the series arc for the Christopher Eccleston series. It pops up everywhere and it was the futuristic production company. That’s where they took the name from, I think.

Yes, they were kind of the big bad that was teased throughout the (I think) first of the rebooted series with Eccleston.

Edit: Wasn’t quick enough to beat @RedWhippet lol

1 Like

But ultimately owned by The Very Big Corporation Of America:

I think it’s also the name of the beach where Billie says her final goodbye to David Tennant, forget which series that was.

1 Like

Bad Wolf bay is where he sees her for the last time whilst burning up a sun. Yes, Bad Wolf crops up a lot in Who.

While we’re here then, Smith or Tennant? Tricky for me but this lives on our clock in the hall:

1 Like

Tennant every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Edit: I do however think Smith suffered, in my opinion, from a sudden drop in writing quality. His stint wasn’t so bad at the start, but even on a recent attempted rewatch we gave up at around the same point due to the convoluted plots and writing.

I remember watching Tennant become Smith. We used to watch them every week with good friends. Universal opinion was he looked wrong and would be bad. I wasn’t so sure. His first episode, Amy Pond’s legs and his lines to banish the big space star. Pure heaven. The whole Astronaut thing and The Silence were brilliant. The head in the box and Transalore. Loved it:

Although thinking back, Arthur Dent got a mention in Tennant’s first outing. Now there was a nice guy :blush: