The TV Thread redux

The Starz series? Was great fun. Played fast and loose with historical veracity a bit more than most films/programmes do, but decent television. Came out when i was a tennager and led to a massive crush on Lucy Lawless :rofl::rofl:

Just finished it, and I agree to a point. I thought it started out good, but it did get a bit silly later in the series. Overall though it was a reasonable show which I did enjoy - and it is rare for me to finish a series and come away with an overall positive view

Yeah, that was my feeling. The advantage of these Netflix is the short seasons means the silliness doesnā€™t run for too long. So while this very much had the feel of a old school network drama like FBI they get it over with before the silliness breaks you down.

Kid started watching aoashi (anime series on football) and the series is pretty good.

Donā€™t like anime series as such but this explains quite a lot of things about football tactics well (especially for young ones).

Is it on Netflix?

Disney + hotstar in India.

Black Mirror.

Never really bothered with it before but decided to jump on the hype train and download them all for my daily train commute.

And its not bad tbhā€¦some of them are just outright weird, but overall i really enjoyed them.

Sort of like a modern day twilight zone scifi technology slant on most of them.

:+1:

2 Likes

There are loads of animated series on Netflix for ya Iftiā€¦ Just type it in the search
Star Trek
Batman
Iron Man
then there are loads of titles that would suit your daughter :+1: :0)

Thatā€™s very much the gist of them although the later ones do explore different genres.

We are currently watching the series backwards. We saw series 6 but my wife hadnā€™t seen any since the original Channel 4 ones (which she found a bit heavy going at times) so we are going through the newer ones.

Channel 4 also produced another series in a similar vein called Electric Dreams which were bases on short stories by Philip K Dick. It possibly helps if you have read some of Dickā€™s books because these were much closer in style to that rather than the stylised adaptations such as Blade Runner and Minority Report.

1 Like

I saw those. I donā€™t think they went down well which is a shame.

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m a huge fan of Dick in general but wasnā€™t really feeling this (something my partner tells me a lot)

2 Likes

Started watching Poker Face, crime show by the guy who wrote the Knives Out films. Enjoying it so far.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching this. I think its OK but not that good, certainly not as good as the knives out films or Brick - probably because of the structure of the show moves away from what I thought makes them great films.

15 minutes to watch the crime, then a section showing how the main character found herself in the middle of the crime scene, often she thinks the murderer is a good egg until she realises theyā€™re not with her magic ā€˜bullshitā€™ sense, figures out how it was done and then she finds a way to give them their come-uppanceā€¦

i appreciate that this is like the structure in Columbo (and a popular one within the genre I suppose) but at least there you got to see Columbo and the villain match wits with the latter thinking of clever excuses but only to find they were digging themselves into bigger holes. I donā€™t really get that sense here.

I like the actress (She was in Russian Doll I think which I remember won a lot of plaudits when it came out but Iā€™ve only watched some of the first episode) and the casting as a whole is fine. The background story to the show is also fineā€¦I can imagine it getting better as the show progresses because there is threat hanging over her during the show that will probably feature more further into the series so am interested to see where it goes.

1 Like

She was in Orange is the New Black also

1 Like

Just finished Florida Man. Thoroughly enjoyed it. i would love to see a second season.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve made a show about @Limiescouse ?

Is it a fly on the wall thing or a dramatisation with lots of lurid sensationalism, overacting and feather boas?

I guess everyday is a school day ehā€¦ Just discovered our Jorg was in Blackadder :0)

1 Like

Finished Silo last night. I had mixed feelings about it while watching it, but I think it ended well and Iā€™d definitely jump on the second series.

I saw someone here mention the English a while back - a western with Emily Blunt. Similar to Silo I was on the fence while watching it, but the various pieces of the story come together in a really well crafted, and quite horrific way.

I really enjoyed this show, best ST since Next Generation imho.

I donā€™t understand the question though lol

Recently finished the final season of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. A strong finish to a quality programme. Hopefully Brosnahan is allowed to bring some Midge to her Lois Lane in the new Superman film.