Those jammy fuckers down the M62

Probably lose to a Europa second place team at this rate but I do agree.

1 Like

Sacking ETH wonā€™t fix their problems.

Their problems run so deep that changing the manager would be like using a bandaid to fix a shark bite

What an hysterical idiot, like that Goldbridge-guy much better.

Not only that, but with the owner situation not settled and the probably new person wanting to take sporting decisions, it really doesnā€™t make sense to sack ETH until then.
They could go with the caretaker route which served them so well though.^^"

I just saw it. Itā€™s a bit unfortunate but I canā€™t really see any mitigating factor with it. Itā€™s not as if the playerā€™s leg was moving before he planted his foot on it or there was any deflection.

I helped out reffing kidsā€™ games years ago (which I file under stupid ideas that should never be repeated) and at the time they said to take account that some fouls occur because the players arenā€™t very good, rather than being actually malicious or reckless. Iā€™m guessing that doesnā€™t really apply at this level.

1 Like

Thereā€™s an argument that it should for ManUā€¦ :wink:

Normally, but this is United, so maybe it should

Youā€™re really traumatised, arenā€™t you?

Yep.

Haha @aussielad

NEVER A RED. NOT MARCUS! :sleepy:

In all seriousness, itā€™s obviously a red. To be fair to Goldbridge, he didnā€™t think the Curtis one was red either.

But Iā€™m baffled by the penalties, if Iā€™m being honest.

2 Likes

Rashford was a deserved red. He is trying to protect the space but instead of getting his foot on the ground and shielding the ball, he stamps on the fellas ankle quite badly. Red. Off yer pop.

As for Man Utd, they are crap. Ideally they finish fourth in the CL group. Second is next best, so they get knocked out in the round of 16 but prolong their time with Ten Hag. If they finish third they go to the Europa, which is undeserved but themā€™s the rules, and if it ends up being us that knocks them out, bring it on.

1 Like

The ā€˜natural positionā€™ idea seems to be interpreted wildly differently between the UK and most of Europe. I guess that is why you see the defender clasping arms stance so much more in Europe, which ironically is not remotely close to a natural position. That said, the Maguire one did not seem problematic to me.

1 Like

Yeah to both of those. The main difference is UEFA care little for mitigation if the arm is elevated when the ball strikes it so youā€™ll see ones like the one Utd got given in Europe that will get waved away in the Prem. I mean Maguire himself got away with one very similar just a game or two ago.

But the for penalty Maguire gave awayā€¦he punched the ball away from the attacker. You can feel sympathy for him knowing it was purely unintentional but it happened because he came bulldozing into the play trying to clean it up. As a defender youā€™ve got a responsibility there to be careful. He wasnt and the result was the defender was robbed of the ball by a defenderā€™s hand. Normally I can look at a decision I dont agree with but at least see the argument. In this case, I just dont get what argument people can make to think Maguire has a real case for argument.

3 Likes

Say ā€œargumentā€ again, @Limiescouse

Iā€™m reading EtHā€™s complaints about the ref now. This is exactly why managers should not as a default be taken seriously when commenting on this shit - unreasonable complaints about 3 they perceive that went against them and no acknowledgement that they were incredibly fortunate to get the penalty they got.

2 Likes

Argument Analogy GIF

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/liverbirdjen/status/1722545054676333014

3 Likes

Yeah. Heā€™d never play for us. And pretty sure he wouldnā€™t make our bench either.

Haha @Mascot