Those jammy fuckers down the M62

VB changed its recipe maybe 20 years ago…they tell you they reverted back after the backlash, but theres no way known.

VB is a truely horrible beer though…its a running joke

i will say however…after a big days work, an icy cold Vic has its place.

they also have one of the best ads ever…peak 80s bloke

Original VB “matter a fact i got it now” Ad Victoria Bitter (youtube.com)

1 Like

Probably something crap.

Insanity of crowds like.

Certain pubs may have a real ale element to their customers.

Like if I went into a pub in Cornwall it could easily be a St Austell choice of beer or a crap Lager.

If you want a good lager and are down in Cornwall do check out St Austell’s Korev, I bet Klopp had a few :joy:

And noting the thread I’m in I bet ETH would if he could find it on a map.

1 Like

Yeah? Drink a lot of horse’s piss do ya?

One of the pleasant surprises about living here is the diversity of lots of great beers, craft beers of every varietal.

Before I moved to America I thought it would all be diluted horse piss, Budweiser, Miller light, Coors, etc. And while they are all here, I haven’t drank any of that but instead have enjoyed numerous microbreweries and craft beers, local, regional, etc.

There are lots of bars to sample a huge variety, and also stores, such as Total Wine, with many hundreds of options on sale.

2 Likes

Sadly, the average pubgoer still consumes mass market rubbish: Carling, Stella, Carlsberg, etc, although independent (or “craft”) beers are gradually becoming more popular.

There are two excellent microbreweries in Baltic Triangle:

https://www.liverpoolbrewingcompany.com/

Both are well worth a go the next time you’re over here.

6 Likes

It’s quantity and not quality which counts, more so for beer and going for pubs etc are concerned.

1 Like

Not for responsible drinkers.

1 Like

The other thing I find in Liverpool is you don’t have to go far to find a decent selection of beer. At least in the city centre. Once you get out to the more characterful pubs in the suburbs it’s more a case of which piss is the cheapest.

2 Likes

Sure. But pubs are more for socializing for quite a sizable percentage of people. I don’t think they really care which beer goes in their stomach.

As well as the micro pubs, I used to go to the Philharmonic when I was up in Liverpool; they always had a good selection and the beers were well kept.

I haven’t been up since Covid, so no doubt the pub landscape has changed considerably now.

2 Likes

And the most iconic gents bogs in the country.

2 Likes

That is not just Liverpool though.

You go out in South London or East London and (apart from the hipster wankster bars) most people will tend to go for whatever is cheapest. I bet Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham are all similar in that once you get out of the centre of the city, the choice in what booze people drink will often be linked to what is the cheapest pint

5 Likes

What’s the cheapest and what’s the thing which is most readily available in stock.

Anything which is consumed the most will generally be more “newer” and that does matter.

Especially when it comes to mass market beers.

We have a thread for beer :beer:.

1 Like

And we don’t make jokes about Man United until we beat them next week hopefully.

1 Like

Both beer and United are irrelevant as far as good football is concerned.

Southgate first choice?

I rate what he’s done with England so far, but in my opinion… good luck with that.

Wouldn’t mind it.

2 Likes

Southgate I think is a good international manager but I don’t think it crosses all the time and Man Utd really doesn’t seem the right fit for him considering it is a club with so many egos.

I do think Southgate has underachieved with England. Previous coaches with the exception of Sven perhaps have been so poor that maybe the benchmark is set too low.