Those jammy fuckers down the M62

He has achieved historically good tournament success (itself a marker for how badly englad’s tournament record is) with a group that for all its supposed talents had critical limitations. He deserves credit for that, but it is not transferable to the club game. More problematic is that for england he appears to have veered away from being pragmatic to accommodate the limitations of a defense including Pickford and Maguire, to treating those as stalwarts who need to be stuck by and rewarded. I will concede that none of the up and coming players have really forced Southgate’s hand, but he hasnt really actively tried to solve the problem either.

2 Likes

I don’t see in what world Maguire gets picked ahead of Gomez as a CB. Even if Gomez is injury prone, Maguire shouldn’t be near the English national team.

I’d rather have Pope/Ramsdale over Pickford anyday.

I don’t get Southgate persisting with Henderson for so long. He should have been ditched post the world cup.

The way I see it is that England have potentially a top 4 team (in terms of players) with some weaknesses that a better coach would have ironed out.

Gomez is not really the right argument to make for this though given I think he’s played once at CB all season.

1 Like

His preferred playing position is at CB. Klopp’s used him in other positions due to necessity.

But even discounting this season , Gomez is a much better CB than slabby and even United fans would admit that.

even if Gomez isn’t in consideration, there are other people who are better CBs than quite frankly a championship level CB

With Southgate the team he took over is less than the team he has now but it’s set up in a way to get the best out of certain players and when they don’t play he has no plan B.

There are great beers available everywhere and Utd are still a pack of shite fuckfaces. I am praying Gareth gets the gig.

Everyone can STFU now.

3 Likes

Oki doki…:blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Saluting Mickey Mouse GIF by DisneyJunior

I notice the United instagram channel has 11 million followers. The City one has 28 million. :flushed:

1 Like

The fucking state of this place, letting a no-mark like @SBYM tell you all what to do.

Have a bit of self-respect, ffs…

1 Like

reported.

sorry about that language above @Maria

3 Likes

Bots I guess

I literally laughed when I saw the Southgate rumour. Speculation he will bring his entire coaching staff too?

That this is even a thing seems unbelievable having lived what seemed like a lifetime with them ruling the roost.

2 Likes

Ratcliffe made a couple of decent ish moves off the pitch. It was looking like he was working to get the structure in place to build them up again. If they hire Southgate as manager it will all come to nought. I hope they do.

It is such a bad choice that I can’t believe they would actually do it.

There will be a few managers switching to new roles this summer, and it will be surprising if Man Utd don’t nab someone much better than Southgate.

Southgate finished in the top 8 out of 210 teams, so that’s in the top 3.8%. If you extrapolate that into a league with 20 teams, then he will finish first or second.

Secondly, he achieved that success while being forced to choose the overrated players he got from city, chelsea, arsenal, dortmund, tottenham, and Liverpool.

Be careful what you wish for.

Is it already a foregone conclusion that Ten Haag will leave in the summer? Did I miss something?

No. Which is why this is all so awkward.

They have been reported as trying to talk to all the best minds in the game as part of a “listening tour”. It comes across as them showing they are doing their due dilligence, but showing a tremendous naivety that undermines their current manager at every turn and probably doesnt reflect well in their meetings with these other people that they’d be taking these meetings with their manager being hung out to dry. One of the meetings was reported to have been with Wolves’ Gary o Neil to explore if there was a role he could take up, but not as manager. This is very much in the FSG category of forcing Rodgers to fire his coaches and bring in new ones, 3 months before firing him as well.

3 Likes

I thought that was Rodgers just trying to save himself.

But yeah they should have sacked ETH and given someone a 3 month temporary contract and would probably have if the season was a write off.

The most by any team over the past three seasons

Feels like the tide is turning against ETH. The US coverage was absolutely scathing of his post match comments. It’s one thing to play badly it’s another to appear so clueless as to why. He was basically this guy when talking about why they were so bad

1 Like