Those jammy fuckers down the M62

All the Utd fans I know personally wanted him to stay for some odd reason

I kind of get it - two trophies in two years after long periods of major instability. Plus itā€™s an acceptance that they wonā€™t be challenging for a PL title anytime soon, but appreciate that they have a manager that can get then to the odd cup final

Utd dont sack their manager. Theyā€™re not that sort of club.

5 Likes

I donā€™t believe that Ten Haag is a bad manager, I think heā€™s someone that has been put in a bad situation but completely incompetent ownership and director level leadership. Iā€™d be much happier if they had gone ahead and hired Southgate, who actually is a bad manager.

Having said that I donā€™t see much changing at Man Utd. ETH will still be expected to do everything, their hiring of Ashworth has gone pear-shaped as it looks like he canā€™t even start until 2025 and this INEOS idiot looks even more clueless than the Glazers.

3 Likes

Ten Hag should get the sack after getting the contract extension.

I always think of Roy Evansā€™ story about signing Collymore being the beginning of the end for him, because he used so much reputational capital with the board to get them to approve a signing that big that when it started to wrong it was on his head. Even beyond questions of his ability to deal with personalities and his lack of any coherent pattern of football heā€™s been able to implement, I look at the utterly mediocre players he used reputational capital to get them to sign and think that is sufficient in the context of how bad last season was to justify him getting the boot.

2 Likes

Was it reputational capital to sign these players or was it that Man Utd literally have no coherent recruitment department and looked to him to direct them on who to sign? I struggle to believe he was jumping on the table to sign Malacia, I think he said ā€œI need a left backā€ and they responded ā€œOKā€¦ who?ā€

1 Like

They had already put their behind the scenes team in place by the time they hired him. They made the decision to acquiesce to his requests in his first summer as a way to show support to him, but it wouldnā€™t have happened had he not insisted. And specifically with Anthony he pushed on it after clear messaging on what that would mean for their FFP position and their ability to make additional moves the following summer.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure who we are specifically talking about. As far as I know Jason Wilcox is their current Technical Director and he was only appointed in April. They hired a scout from Everton as their new Head Scout in 2022 but I donā€™t know how much influence that guy has without a Director of Football in place.

Their first post-Woodward team was set up by Spring 2021. He split his old duties between Richard Arnold as the new CEO and John Murtough as their first DoF. They also promoted Fletcher at that time to the new role of Technical Director which was focused on progressing the academy players to the senior side. All 3 officially left by the end of this season to make way for their INEOS hired replacements of Berarda, Ashworth and Wilcox respectively.

Now, you can look a the transfer dealings they did in 21-22 (Sancho for a fortune, an old Varane and a system-breaking Ronaldo) and excuse EtH for not wanting to put his success in Murtoughā€™s hands. But even if you excuse him for pushing for that control, you still have to have him wear its failure around his neck.

2 Likes

Literally did ā€œwhat would Everton do?ā€. Hiring a scout from a club whoā€™s hiring was fucked.

1 Like

Can you imagine the tears if they extend only to punt him by Christmas??

I would pot-noodle myself senseless.

2 Likes

He isnt making it to Christmas

3 Likes

The Manure is nĢ¶oĢ¶tĢ¶ a sacking club, for sure.
They had recent history (2021) in getting rid of their manager only a few months after giving him a contract extension. That history will likely repeat itself this year.

While I agree that heā€™s landed in a shit storm I remain to be convinced of his credentials as a decent manager.

Iā€™ve been wondering, still to this day, what this Uniteds team core tactics or style of play are. That should be obvious by now.

1 Like

I guess Sancho is not going back.

I think the new contract must have been re-worded before he signed itā€¦ Apparently, he has no control over the signings anymoreā€¦!

You realize we are all coming after you if Mubbsy turns out to be right.

2 Likes

Yup, I watched them a fair bit last season and there seemed no real coherent plan.

I like my chancesā€¦