Those jammy fuckers down the M62

FIFY

2 Likes

ā€˜Manchester United, 2024-25 Season Highlightsā€™?

2 Likes

Southgate and Tuchel are two radically different options, and the fact that they are both in the frame itself indicates how rudderless they are. Can you imagine if we were seriously discussing Klopp versus Mourinho when the problem of replacing Rodgers was at hand?

Southgate is a guy who would disappoint the fanbase and probably not win much, but would be a part of overhauling the organization and taking an honest look at their players. Tuchel would very likely win something, want to spend even more money, and do absolutely nothing to address fundamental problems before those fundamental problems became an impossible barrier to him. With his personality, he would probably just exacerbate them.

So hereā€™s hoping for Tuchelā€¦

6 Likes

Tuchel already rejected them.

I think heā€™s not considering any club where the organization is a mess.

This is what happens when people find out the toxic culture of a club. The best people would rather wait it out and get a less stressful job.

Tuchel would rival the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impact in terms of flaming out.

He gets my vote.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s between Southgate and McKenna.

Iā€™d prefer Southgate in that.

Heā€™s a shit coach. McKenna can probably do a stabilizing job like what Howe is doing for Newcastle United. Southgate will be slaughtered in the media for his shit play from day 1.

1 Like

Is Fat Sam really that bad an option?

1 Like

Edited to add Utd, but good luck to all good reds who enjoy their man friends :joy:

I was surprised he was so against Southgate and Tuchel. I really donā€™t know who they would go for. It could be another big name, like Allegri, but itā€™s probably another expensive error if they go that way.

They need a big reset, and the money they continue to spend on transfer fees and wages is out of whack with the quality they have.

A long while ago they should have made a conscious decision to be a mid table club, short term, while implementing a policy to renew their academy, and sign the best young talent from around the globe, and grow a young team againā€¦ crucially under a top football man, who Iā€™ve not seen at Man Utd in some time.

It would have been viewed as a short to mid term project to grow a new team again, which has always been in their best tradition, and the wages would have been reasonable, with more to come as the team grew.

Whoever comes in will have a number of expensive players he doesnā€™t particularly like, and how much latitude the new man will have to shape it will be key. They have a lot of debt and are trying to get the stadium sorted, so I donā€™t see a quick fix no matter what they do.

But strangely, their expectations remain too high.

They donā€™t have the balls to do what Juventus are doing.

That was June. We live in hope.

With their wealth, I donā€™t think it would have been truly mid-table. Maybe a season or two missing out on CL, but that ended up happening anyway.

I think heā€™s holding out for the Madrid job.

Either that or Juventus.

Failing which , There are quite a lot of clubs who have a sounder footing which will be less stressful and more rewarding than the United job.

At this point , United will have to go with either the washout manager or the young upstart manager. Tuchel is one of the top managers and will have better options to choose from.

I think you are right. The level would have been about the same, but one would have been a young and hungry team on the up, with every Man Utd fan behind it because they could see the promise. The other, which is what weā€™ve seen, would have been an expensive team of assorted ā€˜starsā€™ with a smattering of young talent, but no real shape or identity to it, and no value for money.

They are lost at sea, and long may it continue :joy:

Moyes looks no more out of his depth than the likes of OGS or indeed ETH have looked and he only got 9 months.

Case in point that not a single appointment of those was indeed correct but donā€™t pretend itā€™s like dropping Hodgson in. Guy actually got more points than LVG I believe the season after.

Under ETH they have got worse and worse, not a small blip but a trajectory.

1 Like

1 Like

They will likely put an interim in place and hope he does well so they can appoint him - Someone like RVN is already lurking in the background, so he, or someone may be given the role until end of season
OR
If they are confident ETH can finish 4th from bottom, or higher in the table, they might just stick with him until the summer.

1 Like

Much as we like to mock Moyes for bringing in Fellaini, the fact that it was very clearly a deadline panic buy is telling. Either they didnā€™t have a joined up plan involving him, had no ideas at all, or had earlier resisted his input - none of those are good scenarios. That ManU squad was in need of a refresh. It probably underachieved on balance, but there were a lot of 30 year old legs. They were never quite able to string enough consecutive wins together to overcome a shaky start. Moyes bears some blame for that of course, but it seemed like the fans had turned on him well before March.

That was probably their thinking in the summer, but now I doubt they have anything like that confidence (they did just get spanked in their own house by a midtable Spurs side, after all). More importantly, the crowd has turned on him. That is the end at most clubs, but at ManU in the past decade, it absolutely is.

1 Like

Yeah good thinking, and under normal circumstances no doubt that is how it would play out. The thing is, if there is a power struggle behind the scenes, and IMO, Ratcliff wants 100% ownershipā€¦ it would suit his agenda for the team to be shit, in order to exert further leverage from the fans, against the Glaziers

1 Like

He wasnā€™t great but I have generally felt there is zero plan to anything they do and that hasnā€™t changed with Radcliffe.

Two reasons I was delighted to see Edwards back in the FSG/Liverpool fold because he was a genuine free agent who may have been able to help them and it was good for us.

Thing is they havenā€™t even taken step one on the way back and by delaying that they will keep falling behind.

1 Like