UEFA Champions League

Really should have been 2-0 for Villarreal.

1 Like

Yeah that was a massive cockup

It’s as if the pitch was tilted the wrong way. How the hell did he miss that shot. Still 1-0

was that Davies playing LB for Bayern who just shut down that counter with that beautiful control by the VR striker?

Benzema not far from overtaking Raul’s goal tally, in far less games as well. :flushed:

2 Likes

Fantastic performance by RM.

Tony Cascarino is deluded. Comparing our away win to say that it means Chelsea have a real chance (also saying we didn’t play that well). Huh?!?

1 Like

who the f*** is he?

The US pundit talking about the massive difference the Chelsea crowd made today, as last year (when they won) there were no fans but today there were.

Uh?

Two decent results there. Chelsea losing at home 3-1. Two things. Perhaps they aren’t quite as good as they are cracked up to be, or recently were? That defence is looking leaky. And on the Real Madrid side, they are probably better than many of us imagined, and look strong favorites to go to the semi final.

As for the other game, Villarreal looked good for a two goal margin, so taking only the one goal lead to Munich might not be enough. We will see. Then again, Bayern Munich don’t look quite as good as they have looked in the recent past.

Take care of our own business and we will see what happens. Part of me can’t escape the feeling that we will be seeing plenty of Man City before we lift the lot this season.

1 Like

Probably meant that the scoreline would be worse if not for the fans giving the players the bollocking?

Everybody who thinks that Bayern is out of it has not payed attention in the last 50 years, Germans are not beaten before the fat lady sings and not one second earlier.

Joe Cole and Rio Ferdinand actually said that Rudiger should sent the ball and Benzema to row Z instead of conceding the 3rd goal. WTF?!

I fully expect they will get a result like they did against Salzburg but they don’t concern me that much, still dangerous but I’d be hopeful.

Regardless of any Frau singing.

3 Likes

Spain could have 3 teams competing in the semi-finals…!

He should have. really poor challenge from Rudiger considering the stakes. Especially for someone who 99 times out of 100 takes pride in being physical and throwing his weight around.

1 Like

The challenge is both Goretzka and Davies are now back and, setbacks aside, will be fully up and running by the time a semi comes around. I think Bayern are a completely different proposition with both of those guys playing.

1 Like

And so are we when we have a full squad to choose from. They gave Villarreal a drill on crossing tonight.

1 Like

I don’t know, Bayern spent a lot of time this season with key players out. Maybe not a question about individual quality, but how much time to find that rhythm in this key part of the season? I don’t know if a few games will be enough for some of those players. It seems like it will be just about enough to win the league, but just bad timing and not enough balance for Europe this year.

It looks like they’re trying something between a 3 and 4 at the back, depending if they’re attacking or defending. Pavard as either the RCB of the 3 or RB. Coman playing very high was either a RWB or RW. Thin in midfield lately with Musiala having to play a bit deeper to help out Kimmich. Gnabry and Sane playing more inside than before. Nagelsmann will maybe need more time for everything to click more and surely improve some individual spots in that side.

Credit where it’s due, people sometimes forget that there are also other teams in Europe that play good football and are capable of surprises. Villarreal, I mean. Won the EL and obviously doing their thing in peace. Had a lot of chances tonight for a higher scoreline. Shame for that Moreno chance, Neuer looked drunk tonight. Could’ve passed it to Danjuma, but if he opted to shoot, could’ve took an extra touch to reset potential ball rotation on the floor, straighen up his body in order to have a better long pass/shot in empty net.

As for Chelsea, I was a bit surprised Kovacic didn’t start (to play on Modric). Though it depends on their problems on the left side also, if you have Azpi at LWB, then obviously you need someone like Pulisic ahead of him. But still, if you leave room to Real’s midfield, it’s often suicide. Benzema with some outstanding play. Real are Real. Capable of some terrible games and periods in games, but equally capable of going all the way and playing when it matters.

I personally don’t put a lot of hope in Atletico, I don’t think they’re what they used to be. But of course, as long as they’re in the competition, you can’t write them off. It seems though like it might be a new battle between Real and City like two years ago. We are a very nice candidate on the other side of the draw, a nice package of quality, consistency, history, hunger, depth, etc. But as we also often see in Europe, surprises are very much possible.

4 Likes

No doubt they will be tough if we get through and they do but I think we write our team off sometimes unnecessary. We’ve got some stunning talent.

3 Likes