UEFA Champions League

https://x.com/CBSSportsGolazo/status/1797033293168132265

Will never happen. Every little crapper I see in a kit, is always Barca. They have not the slightest clue where Barcelona—or Spain/Europe—even are.

Saw this teenager in an Inter-Miami Messi shirt not long ago. Didn’t even know that Columbus had won the MLS last year.

Real will take at least a decade longer to catch on around here

1 Like

Why’s that? Just because of the Messi connection?

1 Like

followed by the obligatory

‘ohhhhhhhh…dammmmmmmnnnnn’

fucking state of the coverage…

To be fair to me, how would you know? You haven’t left the pub in the last 10 years.

2 Likes

Ygrec is the French pronunciation of the letter of the alphabet Y

2 Likes

Florentino Perez being interviewed at FT and responding by saying his focus is on winning next year’s CL.

Shut the fuck up you wanker.

1. Don’t get interviewed, who the hell wants to hear your opinions directly after the game?
  2. If you don’t enjoy winning it then what is even the point?

To a much lesser extent I feel like our fanbase has been moving towards this kind of “win or bust” mindset. Like this season once it became clear we wouldn’t win the league and we had people genuinely calling it the lowest period in the club’s history, unwatchable etc. What are we even talking about? There is no middle ground? We can’t be disappointed we didn’t win it all but also admire and appreciate the players and team we have?

I hate that Arsenal are laughed at for being “bottlers”. They’re a brilliant team, who smash people every week. So what they didn’t win a trophy at the end of it they can still be fantastic. Liverpool winning the League Cup with a team of 7 year olds against Todd Boehly’s billion pound disaster should be celebrated not written off as just the first part of a quadruple that never was.

I just don’t get it. I’m 32 years old, I’ve spent my entire life - with the exception of one year - watching Liverpool not win the league. In that time we’ve had players who were my heroes like Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia. They never won the league with us. They were still all-time greats. I still loved watching them, I enjoyed it. It’s not wrong for anyone to love Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool. If they never won a songle bloody trophy they still gave us years of excitement, high paced football, created superstars in the game and returned a pride we had started to lose.

That’s what is being lost from the game - enjoyment. While there was always an element of mocking and teasing other teams, the rise of social media has made that the focus of the game for so many people. Either win it all or your are shite and subject to a pile-on about how you failed. Haha Arsenal only won 18 of their last 20 games the fucking cowards. Haha Dortmund lost to Madrid despite having better xG the bottlers. Haha Liverpool finished 3rd and won a trophy in Klopp’s final season, where’s your quadruple???

It’s all so banal and childish. An inability to see success in anything other than a trophy (and even winning a trophy doesn’t mean you’re above it). The idea that your team has failed if they don’t win it all. The idea that other teams are laughing stocks if they don’t win it. Most teams don’t fucking win, ever. Enjoy the days we have.

So yeah anyway rant over. Fuck off Perez with your “we want the next one”. Your entire job is to give the most money to the biggest superstar in the world, you have no idea you prick. You didn’t even wait 1 day before starting with the twitter banter level bullshit. Let your players and fans have their bus parade, let them get drunk and dance around the trophy, let them celebrate the moment. Then let them go on holiday at the end of a long season. Then start talking about next season. Fuck me, enjoy it. If success is a chore, something on the “to do” list rather than an aspiration and the end of a journey then I don’t get what the point of it all is.

21 Likes

Pure arrogance on his part I hope they never win it again from now on and he gets the sack

2 Likes

Excellent post, Sweeting. Never apologise for a rant.

The product of forty-plus years of neoliberal ideology brainwashing the masses, I’m afraid.

You’re either a “winner” or a “loser”. There’s nothing in between.

7 Likes

Fabulous post…I have largely dipped out of the football threads now. Too many idiots.

Everyone that plays for or manages or supports another team is a cunt or shit or a cheat. It’s pathetic but social media allows these people their voice and they no doubt get their kicks from it.

5 Likes

He’s probably more interested in how much money he can make.

My opposition to that league was the fact he would be head of it.

1 Like

Well there is THAT… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

Could have fooled me. Thought sweeting would be older.

1 Like

Yes, he has such wisdom and maturity. Others, less so.

1 Like

6 Likes

Where did you get that footage of me? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m quite happy to have reached my level of maturity!

It has taken me almost 50 to get to about 10 - aspiring to be 13 by the time I buy it.

2 Likes

It’s nice to know there are little nippers running around the place. I thought everyone was a crusty old geezer like Cynnie, Rambo and me or ageless eccentrics like SBYM, AN@L and Flobs.

2 Likes

Yep. With a little Suarez thrown in.

Inter Miami is a shit side without the two of them—and especially Messi. Sort of used to that kind of star-power in the MLS…had similar reactions with Beckham and then Rooney.

2 Likes