UEFA Champions League

congratz Pep

https://x.com/RedBullSalzburg/status/1828553765840134218

3 Likes

https://x.com/The_Forty_Four/status/1828775429630804393

7 Likes

We are going draw them as one of our 8. I am sure of, letā€™s face it, this is solely about creating narratives

4 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking as soon as they qualified.

1 Like

Iā€™m going Barca, PSV, Benfica, Monaco at home and Sturm Graz, Young Boys, Dortmund and Brugge away.

1 Like

Love us to draw Stade Brestois I assume thatā€™s Brest from France.

New club and all. Nothing further than Belgrade I guess. And thatā€™s only one team.

Imagine if we get Feyenoord and Salzburg from pot 3.:joy:

7 Likes

I like the concept of only playing a team once in the group stage.

But not sure about the extra matches though and the silly qualifying knockout.

Like the idea of not going back to Europa. Did I read that right?

Otherwise same teams at the end as usual.

1 Like

The best thing is the the way the knockout stage is set up.

I know we could be harmed by it but it does at least mean your punished for being shit.

And Juve from pot 2

3 Likes

I hadnā€™t realised it is all change this season. Did I read you now need to play 17 games to win itā€¦ farcical. Itā€™s so obviously a sop to the super league lot. Oh well, the players get paid obscene amounts. May as well flog them to death and make them truly earn it. I hate all the manipulation to make sure all the right teams get through to the knock outs.

1 Like

The clubs via the ECA get big say in the structure of the competition. They were pushing for more guaranteed revenue for more clubs, and the threat of a breakaway has always been hanging over them meaning UEFA is very responsive the demands of the ECA. So yes, this was a move made to get ahead of those breakaway threats, and were finalized before any ESL plan were made public, which is part of what made the reaction against the plans so badly received within the game

1 Like

Surprised no oneā€™s mentioned Leverkusen yetā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve read this again, and it makes even less sense. God knows what they were smoking when they came up with this hogwash.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-ne/

2 Likes

You play 8 sort of random games, 4 at home, 4 away.

Top 8 you end up in the last 16, 9-24 ends up in a playoff and then it works like the Europa League.

We play two teams from each pot. One at home and one away.

Teams cannot play any league phase games against teams from their own domestic league and canā€™t play more than two games against teams from the same country.

Have the feeling we need at least 17 points to be in contention to end up in the Top 8. Thatā€™s a lot.

Itā€™s going to be a very tight table from 3rd all the way to about 19-20th

There wonā€™t be much in terms of easy/death draws for any of the teams in pots 1 or 2.

1 Like

I have to say the prospect of even less transparency is not reassuring. The ā€˜softwareā€™ is going to be doing an awful lot of the work here.

1 Like