UEFA Champions League

I hate the way everything these days is reduced to “stories” (not talking about you personally, btw).

The “storylines” pushed by the media are further evidence of the dumbing down of modern society, and football is no exception.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Where did you get that footage of me? :thinking:

Edit: An excellent film, and I’m watching it now, thanks to your gif. Hate the way Mr Kowalski softens in it, though. Bloody snowflake.

2 Likes

Incoming reply: “I hate how conversation is reduced to memes nowadays. Further evidence of the dumbing down of society”

4 Likes

Was that 20 years ago ?

1 Like

Thirty.

1 Like

Half-full, half-empty. We have some ‘big European nights’ on the slate this season, home field advantage for the two toughest fixtures. Bologna is looking very much like a soft draw, great side last year, winless in Serie A so far. I think Milan will be somewhat tougher, but not tearing up Serie A either

1 Like

What’s the point of comparing last season to this one? It’s a new competition with a new manager no less. We all know it’s going to be more difficult in the CL, especially under this format.

Let’s wait for the actual games before deciding that we won’t do well.

5 Likes

Top 8 play the 8 winners from play offs. Is this draw random? i.e it doesn’t matter where in top 8 you finish?

Under the old format the name of the game was to advance through the group. The points haul is largely irrelevant.

The new format will give more variety, no dead rubbers, and I am interested to see how it all unfolds.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t word that very well. I get that part, but was wondering if the rankings make any difference for the last 16 draw (beyond finishing top 8 or winning in play offs). Like in the old format you wanted to finish top of group to get a better draw.

Confusing myself now ffs

1 Like

I would counter that with the saying “ Picture is worth 1000 words” would indicate that you’re enriching a conversation with memes instead

Nothing great there

3 Likes

Seems we got the hardest of draws from the English sides.

Though watching Girona against Ath Madrid on the weekend suggests they’ve not replaced what they lost.

1 Like

I’m happy that we’re playing in the CL again, but we shouldn’t forget that we now have a coach without much experience there. Our opponents are a good mix and, OK, it could be a bit easier, but the moaning and complaining about how much luckier the other English teams have is slowly getting on my nerves. what do I care about the others .

I’m not really expecting anything this year, Slot and his coaching team can prove themselves, gain experience and maybe even surprise us.

3 Likes

His European form for a coach of a team of that standard is pretty decent.

It’s certainly not like Rodgers.

3 Likes

I would like to know the answer to this as well, tried googling it but can’t seem to find the answer.

It would be odd if the winners of this ‘league’ are in exactly the same position when it comes to the last 16 draw as the team that finished 8th,.

1 Like

I could not find a definitive answer. :flushed:

1 Like

Yeah over the past 12 months or so I have read multiple “everything you need to know about the swiss model” pieces explaining the new format and have never seen this question answered.

We know they are doing seeding for the play off round (9th-16th) and the round of 16 (1st-8th), with the seeded teams playing a supposedly weaker side based on group stage placing, and getting the second leg at home. But what I have not seen stated anywhere is whether those specific ties are determined by a new draw or whether it is done on individual rankings like in tennis - 9th plays 16th, 10th plays 15th etc.

3 Likes

You really need to get a life.

2 Likes