UEFA Champions League

5 Likes

Go to bed, junior.

3 Likes

Yes, 9th plays 24th, home leg second and so onā€¦

Here: Six games vs two from each pot, one home one away. Then the top eight go to the R16. The next 16 play a two-legged knockout round to qualify for the R16, the rest are eliminated from ALL euro competitions.

R16 is the same 1-8 are seeded (home second-leg) vs 9-16. Then QF, SF, Final (neutral venue). Itā€™s the same for all THREE competitions.

They draw the round of 16 though right?

Like pot 1 is all the seeded teams and then pot 2 is the teams through. Draw 1 and then draw from pot 2. Youā€™ll know your QF and SF routes following the draw

1 Like

No, itā€™s seeded after the first 8 games, top eight sit it out. Top eight then seeded against those who qualify for the R16 (home second leg). The seeding for the R16 sets the format for QF, SF, and finalā€¦ So, 1st (9th), 3rd (11th), 5th (13th), and 7th (15th) sit on one side and the 2nd (10th), 4th (12th), 6th (14th), and 8th (16th) teams sit on the other sideā€¦

3 Likes

According to ESPN itā€™s a modified tennis style bracket. In the play off 9th and 10th will play one of the last two sides but there will be a draw to determine the specific match up.

So there is theoretically and advantage for finishing 2nd rather than third, but no difference between finishing 3rd vs 4th

1 Like

Huh? So, they think 1-2 are seeded but not 3-8? Regulation states top eight are seeded. Are they saying 1-2 play 15-16, but the rest are random bar the home leg second?

Wait, ESPN? That dunce Nicol didnā€™t open his mouth did he?

1 Like

If Iā€™ve got this right, then it appears that there would be draw for the Round of 16 in which the seeded teams play the unseeded. The UEFA site says there will be a draw:

ā€œTo strengthen the synergy between the league and knockout phases, and to provide more sporting incentive during the league phase, the pairings of the knockout phase will also be partly determined by the league phase rankings, with a draw which likewise determines and lays out the route for teams to reach the final.ā€

1 Like

@football.tiger

I am well impressed. Youā€™re giving me vibesā€¦

3 Likes

There used to be this thing called the European Cup. It was a knock-out cup competition between all the European league champions.

Then they called it the Champions League, except you didnā€™t have to be the champions, and it wasnā€™t really a league, just a group stage before a knock-out cup.

Now they have something that resembles a giant league, except it isnā€™t and you donā€™t have to play everyone. Itā€™s more like the FIFA ranking table, and your position has as much to do with the random teams that you have had to play, and that determines some knock-out play-offs, which then feeds intoā€¦ something that looks remarkably like the European Cup.

2 Likes

This garbled format is just a step on the way to a full European league.

3 Likes

Well after seeing the draw I am liking this 8 different opponents system.

4 Likes

3 things in life nailed on - taxes, death and City getting easy draws/
Honestly their ā€œgroupā€ is so fucking easy again

Of course not. It was an illustration of how the draws supplements league position based seedings. If you understand how teams who finished 9th and 10th are treated people should be able extrapolate to every other pair of placings.

So the teams who finishes 11th or 12th will play one of the teams who finishes 21st and 22nd, and a draw will be used determine that specific match up.

5 Likes

I dont think this is the best way to judge the challenge for one of the top sides, but City have one of the highest ave coefficient for their set of opponents.

1 Like

https://x.com/OptaAnalyst/status/1829508195217293818

2 Likes

This feels quite accurate from how I felt yesterday

1 Like

So in fact hardly any difference top to bottom of that tableā€¦

I think it is probably a better gauge of quality of opposition than ranking by the UEFA coefficient as that score tends to undervalue the quality of rising teams from strong leagues without a recent history in UEFA competition. Teams like Leverkusen, Girona, and Bologna. The counter argument is experience in the competitions is really valuable and it can takes teams a year or two to get used to the higher frequency of important games, something the Opta rating doesnt account for.

1 Like

Only logical answer is, time to create a new ranking that takes both into account!