UEFA Champions League

Don’t break your head trying to figure out how the draw for the next round will work. UEFA will figure it out before it starts.

2 Likes

Or we just win all 8 of our games and make it academic.

Anyway, was reading a piece by Dale Johnson last night and they have run a bunch of simulations and predict it will likely only require 14 points to get one of the top 8 spots.

4 Likes
1 Like

Happy to be back in the CL of course.

If the KO stage would start today with our current squad and availability I could see us win the whole thing.

The new format is bullshit imo. What will be left of our squad after 8 or even 10 matches?

1 Like

This new format doesn’t look very exciting. It’s a bit annoying to not have the return games. The additional games are just pure stupidity, or more probably greed. But let’s see how it unfolds.

Not really interested in who our opponents are. If our lads are good enough, they’ll go through against anyone.

4 Likes

Unnecessary additional games and further bloating of the competition aside, I like the idea of playing a variety of teams. The group stage was a grind, anyway.

I’m interested only in the sense that it’s nice to be playing different clubs rather than the same old moneybags over and over again. Apart from Real Madrid, AC Milan, and RB Leipzig, I don’t think we’ve played any of the other clubs recently?

1 Like

Funny, until 21/22, we’d only played Milan twice (Istanbul and Athens finals), and now we’re sick o’fuckin’ sight of 'em.

2 Likes

https://x.com/Football__Tweet/status/1829842320088289367

2 Likes

We finish off with Gerona away, Lille at home and PSV away.

Not to sure you could ask for a better finish to the group stage. We may look to be struggling midway through the comp, but that finish should be 9 points so could play a huge part in seeig us fly up the ladder o the final matchday

4 Likes

Nah.

2 Likes

When I say struggling, I ment we might be in 2nd spot :wink:

1 Like

It’s not the group stage anymore. It’s the SUPER LEAGUE

If I understand it correctly teams get seeded into pairs 1&2, 3&4 5&6 ect.

So you get an advatage by finishing 2nd not 3rd, but not get any advantage by finishing 3rd over 4th.

1 Like

The first matchweek is champions league exclusive which means games on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. No EL or ECL matches during that week.

Arsenal play Atalanta away on Thursday night and on Sunday they play at the Etihad. I’m sure they’ll be happy with that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Edit
Before Atalanta they play Spurs away on Sunday.

1 Like

With all the new format in the UCL etc , you would think UEFA sees fit to have the finalist of the Europa get entry as well.

Yeah I’m glad we avoided the Thursday night that week.

https://x.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1830616905255657569

:black_medium_small_square: €60 (£50.50; $66.43) in the Champions League
:black_medium_small_square: €40 (£33.68; $44.29) in the Europa League
:black_medium_small_square: €20 (£16.84; $22.14) in the Conference League

6 Likes

Good move but personally, I think the C/L could have been slightly lower.

Maybe go something like
50 in Champions League
30 in Europa League
20 in Conference League

1 Like

Agreed. Think it’ll be crucial to win our first 2 games before we have a tricky 3 matches that we will surely drop points in.

2 Likes