UEFA Champions League

Neither Milan nor Bologna have won yet in Serie A. I expect Milan will bounce back, but we have them in just two weeks - the timing is good.

1 Like

Or we could be the big team spark to get them firing.

Of course it could always play out that way. But Fonseca has very little training time to pull that team together, and just one match (9/14) in between. They are struggling with the switch to a very different defensive system (from pressing to zonal marking). With Inter the next match, we may not even see their best line-up. Fonseca could be in trouble already.

1 Like

100%.

Group stage will be much more interesting now imo.

But here is an idea - Fuck off this weeks Internationals and extra matches problem solved.

5 Likes

1 Like

That is a fairly decent List B contingent.

2 Likes

Am I not counting correctly or do we only have 24 List A players?

Some interesting inclusions, like Hill and Nallo (I would have presumed Nyoni anyway).

Itā€™s fantastic that we can be naming obviously first team squad players on the B list due to their young age.

The flip side is that with the recent sales/loans, and Nallo and Nyoni having to be registered with the A list (havent been at the club long enough to be B list despite their age), we are actually pretty short in viable B list options to call upon or to give shots to in garbage time games.

4 Likes

Think it will be very tight until the final matchday of the Super League stage so Iā€™ll doubt we will have opportunity to play kids anyway.

I think it depends on their relative readiness, because they havenā€™t actually listed everyone in List B, just commenting on the first-teamers who are on there. So some of @Sweetingā€™s favourites might just make it on there.

True but itā€™s very rare we dip into the B-list for CL nights outside of those already featuring for the first team.

1 Like

The best academy kids we have left were the ones listed in the A team list already. Other than Danns and McConnell there arenā€™t any other kids left who are likely to be anywhere near pushing for a CL match day squad unless something catastrophic happens, and that dearth probably explains why kids so far from the first team were named in the A list.

Itā€™s not a big deal, but just a reminder that this season we should not be looking to that list for much reinforcement other than the players on it we already expect to be involved

2 Likes

Yeah but as the post above yours points out, even with Kloppā€™s Kindergartenā„¢ being available we didnā€™t actually play many of them in there. I wouldnā€™t expect to see anyone beyond Nyoni play, if Iā€™m being honest. I am classifying Morton as a fringe member of the first team though, and he will probably see playing time.

1 Like

You underestimate the susceptibility of our players to injuries of various kinds.

3 Likes

Not really engaged with the new CL format since the draw was made. Started looking at the home fixtures and pencilling them in - got ARE seat access for them.

I like that we play eight different opponents. The play-offs will be interesting, and I guess it makes sense that the ties are based on the performance through the league. Ultimately, we want to make the KO stages, but annoying it will take more games to get there.

As with all changes in football, we donā€™t like them, but over time they become the norm, and then we complain when it changes again.

2 Likes

Virg did a decent job on the Amazon prime CL ad.

1 Like

I knew they would keep picking us as the Tuesday fixture at least the December fixtures in the PL go together so I can use a free trial.

PSV kit is a right eyesore. Could be a potential upset on the cards here, Juve yet to concede this season but havenā€™t looked that great under Motta as of yet.

Took a while under Motta for Bologna to really click, and they were erratic his whole first season. I would not expect Juve to adapt much more quickly, though they will probably pick up more points simply from having higher talent levels.

2 Likes