UK Politics Thread (Part 2)

Sounds like Truss is going to pin the energy companies into long term fixed costs. That could be better than a windfall tax. Also potentially capping the cost that UK gas and oil can be sold for. Interesting.

1 Like

I would agree, but I disagree with your initial point of a “gotcha”. What if it was re-framed as an issue of disaster capitalism, where companies with such windfall profits are basically taking advantage of an ongoing disaster? It’s not as though any of these companies have specifically done anything to optimise for the situation of war causing sky-high energy prices, so why should they be rewarded for it?

These companies would also be the first in line asking for a bailout if they made catastrophic errors, so I have no qualms about a windfall tax. Maybe incentivising them to use their profits to invest heavily and solely in renewable, UK-based power generation schemes for environmentally-sustainable energy independence is an out, but like @RedWhippet points out, where is the balance between the longer-term needs and the shorter-term needs?

1 Like

Sorry, I know little detail about housing planning - I work on big strategic projects (airports, incinerators, quarries etc).

When it comes to orientation - certainly, most master plans don’t have housing all facing the same way (kills off sense of place), and thus far, not seeing many new builds with solar going on them.

What has become clear is that the panels have improved vastly over the years, and are able to capture much more energy, meaning the orientation shouldn’t have as much as impact (clearly there will be a sweet spot). Some neighbours up the road just stuck panels on the east facing side of their roof, that I was surprised to see! Suspect Solar companies just want to install their kit so will tell customers what they want to hear!

2 Likes

Really? Companies like BP have had to pay out ÂŁ25b and more when things like the deep water horizon disaster happened. No government bail outs.

1 Like

Did it cover the cost of the cleanup, let alone punitive damages?

Interesting idea but how does that return money to the public purse when some creative accounting can whittle away profits into weird and wonderful “improvements”.

In normal circumstances I think that has a valid place but this is exceptional. My view anyway.

Unfortunately Truss isn’t going to do any of this.

1 Like

Is that just batting the cost down the line? When the Ukraine crisis is over one way or other and wholesale prices reach some kind of norm. Will the UK population basically be paying a premium for it’s energy.

1 Like

I know the whole thing is political theatre akin to the pantomime but PMQs pisses me off so much. PM doesn’t answer a single question, is allowed to outright lie, some random backbenchers ask bullshit questions and - in the middle of the biggest cost of living crisis the country has ever seen - the whole parliament hoots and hoolers and laughs their way through the whole thing.

I say it everytime I have the misfortune of hearing it but have a bit of fucking decorum, stop with the bullshit and actually work together to fix the problems of the country. God it’s infuriating that these people are supposed to be the leaders of the country. It’s hard to think of a group of people less qualified to lead the country.

Also, on windfall taxes, the boss of BP said he would favour a windfall tax. They’ve already planned out their spending and have no real use for the excess profits they are about to have, it would have no effect on their investment.

5 Likes

£2,500 per year price cap for 2 years - “saving households £1000 per year”

Just me or does she sound pissed?

Yep. I think She’s trying to put an early marker down on how she will operate - take no shit, stand strong etc

2 Likes

Maybe her Bluetooth connection to the remote control is lagging a bit.

1 Like

Lagging? She’s in a different time zone. How the hell she got in I’ll never know. She’s an embarrassment. Surely the first skill of a politician, let alone a member of the cabinet and critically the PM is one of public oratory? Boris played the fool but he could talk the talk, as could those who came before him. She’s less confident and talented than a socially awkward and shy bag of cement.

She said nothing, at length. Her and Starmer are a good team. All the charm and charisma of a messy car crash.

When was that? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a coherent sentence out of him.

That’s just being harsh for the sake of it. He could entertain and be coherent. There might have been questionable content but at least he didn’t talk about FUCKING CHEESE.

1 Like

I still maintain she’s a robot being controlled externally.

The “entertaining” was presumably the bumbling fool act. Coherent? He reminded me of that Rowley Birkin character that Paul Whitehouse did on the Fast Show. Aside from that I’ve come across people with actual speech impediments that were better public speakers. He is a classic bluffer - he will make aimless noises and random statements until he can think of any old rubbish to fill the gaps.

Oddly enough, I’ve just been listening to that Rory Stewart podcast and he made pretty much the same comment - and he actually used to work for him in government so has first hand experience. He mentioned the last time he heard him make any sort of coherent speech was 14 years ago and that was something to do with the classics.

2 Likes

Not really, when you work through why the profit is happening. The price of natural gas sets the marginal cost of generating electricity in the UK market, and the vast majority of the UK electrical market is natural gas generation. A normal operator will earn the ‘spark spread’, the difference between the value of the natural gas input and the electricity output.

Any operator that has contractual access to natural gas below the current market price is earning a secondary spread, the gap between the market price and the price they are actually paying. That is a ‘windfall’ profit.

Any operator that doesn’t use that fuel (for example, renewables like PV and wind that use no fuel at all) is making a massive profit.

The entities that are making money directly from the UK are not really connected to Russia, except by way of that market price.

3 Likes