UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

What a shame. What Britain needs now is more Lords!

1 Like

On a completely bizarre tangent, can you be a peer if you don’t identify as a Lord or a Lady (/ Dame?)??? A “Lordy” perchance?

Lard?

If the shoe/slipper/boot/… fits, sure…

Interesting article in the Guardian. A Spring general election may be preferable due to the number of damaging reports likely to be released during the year. Presumably, a landslide defeat is preferable to an actual lynching.

2 Likes

Quite. I think a damage limitation strategy would involve an earlier election rather than a later one, for a variety of reasons.

It seems like this government is stuck in a sort of gamblers fallacy, hoping something turns up to turn the tide, when it’s actually just getting worse and worse. Sometimes you have to know it’s time to get out with what you have left.

1 Like

I’ve got no other explanation for it. They must know they’re done, even Truss could probably figure that out. Despite appearing to be utterly clueless they can’t be that stupid, can they?

So it becomes a concern with what they hope to achieve in the last few months they have and know they have.

Anyone of a masochistic bent should watch Fishy Rishi on Kuenssberg this morning. He stuck to the line that everyone capable of working should do so and that they would be rewarded with tax cuts, which would be funded by government discipline in reducing welfare payments.

Translate as: know your place, serfs, and please ignore institutional cruelty.

2 Likes

Yeah, your not going to go very far in funding tax cuts with welfare cuts, unless you start hitting state pensions, disability allowance, child benefit etc.

People always think there are billions to be gleaned from squeezing workshy scroungers. In reality, it’s something like 2% of the welfare budget.

1 Like

Tax evasion and avoidance had always cost the exchequer more than benefit fraud… until new opportunities were made available to fraudsters during the Covid crisis.

The narrative from the rightwing media that workshy scrounges are costing the country billions is correct, but corporations and rich individuals are taking the piss even more.

1 Like

It’s all good house keeping. Cut all budgets, starve to death whilst your house falls into ruins!
I think they call it austerity.

This article pretty much sums up the mess in which the Conservatives find themselves.

Stephen Hammond, a leading member of the One Nation group, said Kruger was wrong to say the country had deteriorated under the Tories, and urged the prime minister not to shift to the right in search of votes.

It appears that One Nation Tories are in denial, while the new extreme faction thinks that the only way to improve the party’s electoral prospects is to move even further to the right.

Long may such stupidity continue.

1 Like

That’s what I’d place my bet on as well. Beyond simply clinging to power as long as they can.

2 Likes

If the Tories end up in total disarray (I’ve seen some suggestions this is the end for the party) that is not a good thing for the country.

If Labour get a sniff that they have a chance of 10-15 years in power unopposed, that is the death knell for any kind of electoral reform.

This is batshit insane.

2 Likes

Nothing new then!

1 Like

700,000 more appointments will be paid for by ending non-dom tax status for the super-rich

This non-dom tax is going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting if Labour get in.

2 Likes

Exclusive from Conservative Party HQ:

“Shit! We’re about to get annihilated in a general election!”
“What can we do? We’ve tried everything we can!”
“There’s only one thing left: let’s go to war!”

2 Likes

That was quick.

3 Likes

Cowards!
They didn’t do anything against Russian piracy in the Black Sea did they?

2 Likes