UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Well, it sounds like you do. If the point of the motion is to try to change Israel’s conduct, breaking off relations completely is pointless. As I said, Ireland has another forum in the EU where their views on Gaza remain relevant. The UK really doesn’t.

If the point of the motion is to score partisan political points in the UK setting, well, I guess it almost worked for the SNP.

1 Like

Would you please explain. ‘Collective punishment’ is frequently used by media, international agencies, and even national leaders to describe (or decry) the assault on Gaza. So it’s not a term that could be divisive.

It is a very specific allegation as to what Israel is doing in Gaza, a direct accusation of a breach of international humanitarian law. You and I can do that, the media can do that, and there is no real consequence. UN agencies are in an odd intermediate zone, the officials can say it but it cannot be an official position without ratification by GA/SC. But when a national government says it, you are into the realm of recalling/expelling ambassadors and so forth. Even if it is in fact true, the complete rupturing of relations is not necessarily the most effective diplomatic action at this point.

3 Likes

Calling this fuckwit weapons-grade stupid is an insult to the truly unintelligent.

Guaranteed she had crayons on her desk in Number 10.

Very good chance she was also caught eating them.

1 Like

With Kwarteng apparently

I was saying here 2 months ago that Labour should be calling for a ceasefire and was told that it was pointless and they couldn’t risk it bla bla bla. Meanwhile another 20k innocent people dead while these fuckers play politics

4 Likes

No it’s a fact. And anyone with an ounce of humanity would have declared it months ago. Fucking cowards

1 Like

Regardless of whether it is a fact or not, for a government to say it has consequences. You can debate the costs and benefits of those consequences, but they are real. British diplomats would be badly restricted in their ability to provide consular service at a critical time, and I assume there are still many British citizens in Gaza. Perhaps whatever influence Britain has in Israeli circles is worth nothing at this point, I really don’t know - but the concern would be that it would be lost.

1 Like

It’s pretty obviously worth nothing. 80% of the houses destroyed, 30k dead and the rest currently being starved or allowed to die from disease

2 Likes

These hypocritical politicians are trying to save themselves politically, rather than think about what is happening in Gaza.

When it comes to the UK elections, I am in a dilemma, i can’t vote Conservative but I really can’t stand this current Labour party with their double standards either.

2 Likes

The hypocrisy is worldwide. It’s not specific to UK politicians.

Labour are more likely to protect the health, education and social services, which may or may not directly impact your life, but certainly will shape the type of society you live in.

5 Likes

I really, really can’t stand that two faced git Starmer. I hate him and Labour more so in the last few months.

I just find, no matter what party your in, they don’t have a modicum of humanity. Even during Covid! I lost alot of good friends.

5 Likes

This is what trying to get in power looks like. If he was more like Corbyn, Labour would be on for another defeat and five more years of the Tories giving all our money to their wives and friends.

It’s a really simple, binary choice. The next prime minister of the UK is going to be Keir Starmer or Rishi Sunak. Which one do you want? Unless you live in one of the few places where a Lib Dem is more likely to unseat a Tory, if you want the Tories out, you have to vote Labour.

1 Like

I am seeing where you are coming from, but the way Labour behaved last night was disgusting!
My conscience and my heart is saying something (25,000 Palestinian children have been made orphans, but we all jump on the the bandwagon when it comes to aid for Ukraine, the flags are allowed out in football matches, but not Palestine,)
and my head is saying something else.

I don’t know what I am going to do come election time, maybe not vote or spoil with an internationally recognised obscene symbol!

2 Likes

On a lighter note.

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1760683834411233588?t=VQQeetYHD05oyFMh9L4Dtw&s=09

That’s taking tactical voting too far!

Unfortunately, I think that is what Realpolitik looks like. Starmer is a former defence barrister, and that will have involved a lot of nose holding for some individuals to ensure that they had the best possible defence and that the integrity of the legal system was upheld. I suspect that same approach will apply politically.

2 Likes

The Madness of Queen Liz.

3 Likes

I wonder how Armando Iannucci would handle a satire on the likes of Truss or Johnson.

He says that he doesn’t believe the “politics is beyond satire” trope. In The Thick Of It he portrayed the politicians as being media naive and the spin doctors having to clean up after them. If it was done now, I think he would have to portray them as being genuinely conniving and using the facade of bumbling idiocy as a mask to their true intentions.

3 Likes

As Arminius said, the balance is getting an amendment that strikes a balance between calling for a ceasefire, while not driving Israel from the negotiating table.

The SNP motion was designed with the intent of trying to show up Labour, and they were far more guilty of playing politics than Labour were.