UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Good article that; thanks for sharing.

Kemi Badenoch, the confrontational business secretary, who is widely seen as the next Tory leader.

I just checked the latest odds:

Fuck me; that is one dire list.

2 Likes

She is painfully stupid.

Liz Truss-ish, just without the vacant gaze of the newly lobotomizedā€¦

3 Likes

I canā€™t see the party membership voting for a person of colour, anyway. Look at what happened in 2022, when it went to the vote: Sunak is no genius, but he lost to Liz fucking Truss.

2 Likes

At least not a woman. Cleverly looks much more likely to me , despite the odds.

Get on it ! :wink:

1 Like

Also a charlatan and a blatant liar. See the stuff going on with the post office scandal.

1 Like

In good company.
There are 650 of them.

Cleverley or Mordaunt seem most likely st this juncture however Iā€™m sure a far right candidate will end up in the mix; perhaps decisively.

1 Like

Not quite the same for me. Johnson is a crook along with all else.

He is also homophobic and anti-abortion. A real nasty piece of work really.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be more interested in knowing how many are there because they want to make a difference, not to their bank balance obviously.

I can confirm they, the farmers, are not happy

This quote from the article, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s correct.
ā€œSheep farmers Iā€™ve met who have joined these protests talk a lot about ā€œthe treelineā€. But there is nowhere in Wales too high for trees to grow. Britainā€™s western hills would, in the absence of sheep, be largely clothed with temperate rainforest,ā€

Not in my area. I think Iā€™m safe in saying that. The mountain regions here are covered in heather, a fruit bearing bush, bracken and peat bogs. They do grow the odd pine forest but there are pretty much zero indigenous tree specious on these mountain landscapes and they are not intensively stocked with sheep.

Both of those might be true. The UK and especially Ireland have a very small range of indigenous tree species, apparently a result of the ice ages. There may not be native species that can exploit that habitat. I had a weird double take the first time I was in the hills outside Dublin when I realized I was in a Douglas Fir forest (plantation, really), which I associate with British Columbia.

2 Likes

It was also heavily denuded of tree cover in the middle ages. I think there is only 2% of the land left that would be claased as ancient woodland.

4 Likes

Yes youā€™re right. What is amazing is that many farms have managed to convert this terrain into nice grassed fields for sheep during lambing season or later in the year when they donā€™t want their prized ram running all over the mountains.

But theyā€™re generally lower down and right near the farm buildings themselves. Outside these periods the sheep are left to roam the mountains. The sheepdogs earn their keep rounding them up. Can be quite spectacular to watch it.

1 Like

For balance he was one of the most outspoken against Iraq war, and has been a consistent advocate for Palestine for decadesā€¦where almost every other politician in the West has been scared to criticise Israel

2 Likes

Something about a stopped clock I suppose.

2 Likes

Perhaps. He does seem like a prick. An example of the linear circle where the extreme left meet the extreme right. But there are plenty of politicians that I loathe more. Like the genocide encourager whoā€™s currently leading the Labour party

1 Like

Good thing that there are no wolves or other predators.

The problem with Golloway is that he goes into constituencies with a large Muslim population and agitates and stokes up tensions to rally support. Once he has got elected he is nowhere to be seen. If you need a constituency MP forget it.

At this point I think his support for Palestine is necessary to maintain brand Golloway.

This is a man who has cosied up to Putin, described the collapse of the Soviet Union as the worst day of his life, and continues to deny Ukraine is entitled to self determination.

4 Likes