UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

The whole thing just feels like a fucking mess.

We have got to tax wealth. The billions that have been sucked out of the economy by the already wealthy has to come back somehow. Unfortunately, they are also the people that run everything.

2 Likes

Or at least fixed assets. Some sort of land value tax instead of council tax would be a start. Essentially getting back to rates, I suppose.

1 Like

I guess what I was inferring, has Scott bought a more expensive house than he can afford?
He also leases a car, assumingly because they tend to be new.
He is on a very good salary for a 28 years old.
Most people had to spend many years getting themselves into a secure enough financial position for the nicer newer car and the more expensive house.
Seems the article is determined to highlight everything but the possibility he is over spending.

Almost certainly, yes. However, he would have been 14 the last time mortgage rates were operating in a remotely normal fashion. I can see how many people will have fallen into that trap.

Iā€™m actually wondering how his mortgage payments compare to average rents. I have heard of many renters who are struggling to keep up with rent inflation.

1 Like

Apologies for not replying - I donā€™t want you to think Iā€™d ignored you. I missed your post.

Iā€™d totally forgotten about that comment, so Iā€™m sorry - you were right.

I just found the clip of his interview with Nic Ferrari on this. To be honest, he looks like heā€™s drinking a cup of sick. He is desperately trying to keep the line that Isreal has the right to defend itself and not talk about withholding water, but Ferrari boxes him in. He says ā€˜within international lawā€™ but I think he knows that heā€™s contradicted himself.

I think Keir Starmerā€™s problem is that there are three definitions of antisemitism. There is the definition in the dictionary, then there is the newer definition that we are all struggling to deal with, that criticism of Israel is antisemitic, and there is a third definition which is that if Labour said it then itā€™s antisemitic and they have an institutional issue which canā€™t be tolerated.

That is the situation Starmer is in. He feels that he canā€™t criticise Israel without it causing a massively damaging shitstorm. Politically itā€™s toxic for him, and he has to weigh up whether Labour speak up, damage their election prospects, and risk remaining in principled opposition; or keep their mouth shut, get into government where they can actually do something.

If he bought at some point in the couple of years preceding 2023, that wouldnā€™t be surprising. Buying at all-time interest rate lows can mean youā€™re stranded when rates rise as much as they have (and when your government blows up the market Kwarteng-style).

Itā€™s not like housing is very liquid either, itā€™s a long-term commitment so itā€™s either commit to the refinancing or have to sell andā€¦ move where?

He clearly is overspending but itā€™s the result of step changes in costs. Mortgages, thanks Liz Lettuce, energy thanks Rishi, food, thanks Brexit and so on.

Wealth is being stripped from the middle class and is going to the rich. Basically if this is allowed to carry on the UK will end up a bit like other countries where the divide between rich and poor is enormous.

2 Likes

I fcuking hate that wanker Jeremy Hunt!
He is putting Ā£2.5 billion in the NHS to fcuking upgrade the IT system.
We need more social care workers, doctors, nurses, biomedical scientists, more beds, after care community nursing.
I swear, i just want to detonate the lot of them in parliament.
I am so sick to death of this govt and most politicians.

Excuse my language, sorry. I am just frustrated with what is going on.

1 Like

We could have Maria Fawkes Day every year.

Just make sure you do it in the summer, so itā€™s actually nice.

3 Likes

This fcuking budget is a joke!

As WeeJo said, they are creating even more divisions between the rich and poor. That stupid cow Liz Truss put up my mortgage. The only solace I have is that I have a few years left on it.

My nephew is so disillusioned, he has another year of his degree, he is thinking of moving outside the UK or up north. London is impossible to live with the cost of living and soaring rents, forget about buying a place.

We donā€™t want any more southern migrants coming up here taking our jobs and our women :rage:

1 Like

Upgrading the IT system is to reduce the admin doctors, nurses etc have to do so it is aimed at boosting the bits you want it to.

The IT systems are not old, they have been upgrading for years.

I was in Hammersmith hospital a few weeks ago, the start of the art stuff there is incredible. All nurses have Ipad where they can access everything notes, scans quickly.

The Northerners are well entrenched down south and we have to put with your gravy and chips and stotti cake!

I wonder how many of the contracts go to Infosys?

Thanks for reply. I do understand how challenging and risky this could be for him. But it comes back to integrity, core values and principles. Living by these standards in spite of opposition and adversity. Otherwise you are blown by the wind of public opinion, Boris Johnson-like. Iā€™ve no idea what Starmer stands for other than getting into power. I get why ppl tolerate this to get the Tories out, but it seems utterly depressing to me

1 Like

Boris was blown by somethingā€¦

Many things

Interesting.

I thought Mad Nads got the hump with him when he didnā€™t give her that knighthood

FIFY :wink: