UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Well put.
There are huge differences between being “comfortable”, “rich” and “very rich”.
£123k salary is a million miles from being “very rich”

Depends on who you’re comparing to. £30k is rich compared to the average person in Uganda. £123k would put you in the top 1-2% in UK, which would be considered rich by the vast majority of the 99%

I can’t find the right place for this. Maybe the joke section. Very amusing to see some idiot who managed to get one of those extremely cheap titles (as a foreigner, I don’t respect fake nobility certainly so I always snigger at stuff like Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Kenny Dalglish, though there are many worse titles given to even bankers) British “sir” titles you English keep handing out to everyone who has money or have impressed someone in government with money, but this one was just cute.

Impressive lack of self awareness.
https://twitter.com/godfrey_lawson/status/1769667393280713143

Just a parody unfortunately.

Or fortunately…depending on your POV.

This Twitter account has always given me a good laugh.

For the record I walk to her house, I am not talking about myself. Her son has to passes by my house where he lives and which is 2 minutes because he to take a longer route longer than normal adding an extra 20 minutes when the LTNS were in, he lives 15-20 minutes away from us, now he saves 15 minutes getting to his mum’s house.

I am not discouraging people to drive needlessly, I am trying to express my view, that some people have to use cars even if they try hard not to. I don’t think people are driving needlessly on purpose in Ealing, many people do commute to work, as we have 3 train stations nearby.

With regards to mobility, elderly people do not like waiting for the buses sitting in a wheelchair at a bus stop in the freezing cold, it can be uncomfortable for them, with their health conditions. Also, trying to manoeuvre a wheelchair on a packed bus is not easy and going up steps, not every bus or tube station has ramps available or lifts.
In a car, the elderly feel more comfortable, heating is on, the seat can be adjusted. Also, the places they get to is quicker, there is disabled parking, so they get inside the building quickly.
I don’t think you understand the mindset of disabled elderly people, including those with dementia. They are very sensitive to the cold. They prefer to be in their own familiar environment, many of them rarely venture out much anyway, they are not the ones causing the traffic problems.

When the LTNS were put, no maps were available to show where the LTNs were, nearly everyone were unaware, even those people who were residents. Maybe Ealing Council should have handled it better, but they didn’t.

With regards to the ambulance, they were stuck in the one way system, which was not well thought out in one of the roads where the LTN was. Maybe you need to ask her GP why she had a problem getting to see the patient.

A few colleagues travel, others public transport, by car because they live in Surrey which takes over an hour for them, they have no choice but to use the car, when LTNs were put in, there was more congestion spilled onto the main roads.

You prefer them all over London and think it is a better system.
I don’t think so. I found the traffic is much better since they have been removed and there is less congestion. If the LTNs are reintroduced, Ealing Council need to plan the layout better

I will stop now, as i have nothing further to add.

This is Monty pythonesque!

Nail on the fucking head, Mascot. Well said!

Now you made Magnus sad :frowning:

:smiley:

Not sure how accurate these figures are or how reliable the source is.

• 12% of air pollution is caused by road transport,
  • industrial processes and solvent use are responsible for 13% of air pollution in the UK,
  • plants and industrial combustion cause 16% of air pollution,
  • 38% of air pollution in the UK results from household activities such as burning coal and wood in solid fuel stoves and open fires.

Wonder how many eco campaigners have one of these, oblivious to the irony.
Add to the list, the equally fashionable chimneas, fire pits and barbecues being used.

1 Like

unreferenced and a random website? yeah, nah.

However after 2 minutes of googling, I think thwese figures are for one form of air pollution - particulate matter (especially 2.5 um) - while the DEFRA site lists 8 others:

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/air-pollution/causes

But yes you are right that wood fires are bad for particulate pollution (sadly). We have 4 fireplaces in our home but they were changed to gas by the former owner which my wife appreciates as she hates the smell of wood smoke and wouldn’t have allowed any wood burning but I must confess I do love the smell, sound and ambience of a wood fire.

2 Likes

I only had a minute to spare :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Plenty of time to construct fantasies about wood burning eco-warriors though.

The government announced a ban on certain fuel types for woodburning stoves a few years ago, I don’t know if that has come into effect yet, and if so what impact it is having.

Dramatic calling it a fantasy, but I’m sure there are many that let their mask slip a little

Well, George Monbiot wrote at length about it:

And globally it is a big problem:

I mean it makes sense. Think what Liverpool looked like in the early 1970s. Every building was caked in soot and that was in people’s lungs as well. That was improved with the clean air acts.

3 Likes

Something I’ve grown to pay more attention to over the last couple of years as my wife is from South East Asia where it is making the news more frequently.

Are you aware what Just Stop Oil actually want?

Do they?