UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Again it’s pretty pointless to compare because every generation faces a different set of challenge. It’s unfair to say whose challenges are harder or easier. It’s called challenges for the very reason, it is difficult because of various reasons like resources, infrastructure, knowledge etc. My parents had to walk 2 hours each way to work during their younger days. Nowadays yet we have a generation who rejects work because it takes an hour on the train in Singapore. On the flipside, jobs used to be alot more secure, these days the generation might face their first laying off as soon as their first job in their early 20s. So it’s really futile to compare challenges.

I am the Napster/Limewire generation.

Season 5 Pirate GIF by Pee-wee Herman

To this day I don’t pay for any media !

1 Like

While there is a lot of bitterness about the housing situation, that really narrows the focus too much to two snapshot years. Not to dismiss it, but talking about the ‘average wage’ badly misses both relative taxation levels that evolved considerably, and structural unemployment levels. What went along with 1984 interest rate was an all-time high unemployment rate, damn near the same number.

That’s why the metric to consider that really captures it across all situations is what the government spends on non-interest/debt versus what it takes in. Complain as the millennials and later may, they are still not left as badly off as the 1965-1980 cohort that paid to clean up the mess. I do understand perfectly the trepidation around the fact that in much of the West, we have gone a long way to recreating that mess we had circa 1980.

3 Likes

Probably because shelter is the most basic of needs, right at the bottom of Maslov’s hierarchy. High unemployment (with benefits much more able to meet basic needs than now) may have left an earlier generation lacking in the ‘self-esteem’ and ‘actualisation’ levels of the hierarchy but shelter is a physiological need.

1 Like

Product of Brexit.
Article on the lunchtime news today, about passengers travelling to the EU being refused if their passport was issued more than 10 years ago.
This apparently is a new thing, in addition to having to have at least 3 months remaining at the end of your planned stay.

BBC travel correspondent urging airlines to do more.

Another example of the “it must be someone elses fault” mindset.

Took less than 30 seconds on Google to find the 10 year ruling, so why would anyone, especially someone with a matter of months left on their passport, not check prior to booking a trip?

3 Likes

I swear it’s been in the news for a few years now? I remember it being a thing when Brexit first occurred, then after the lockdowns were eased, etc. In any case, isn’t it common practice to always check immigrations requirements when visiting anywhere anyway?

Granted, I once muddled up my passport expiry date before an important trip, so I can see how it happens, but that was very much on me.

1 Like

Also worth noting that the time thing can vary from country to country in the EU.

I mean every booking I have made to the UK has mentioned this. I have a German ID card so it isn’t that much of an issue but it is hardly as if people weren’t told.

1 Like

Precisely.
Anyone booking before checking, then acting surprised and suggesting it’s the fault of the operators or airlines, doesn’t deserve much sympathy.

In typical BBC fashion, they tried to dramatise the article by saying he was a paramedic who’d been planning the trip for ages.
Like what he does for a living matters, stupid is stupid.

1 Like

Not sure what we pay the rates on sewage for. Obviously not doing their jobs.

2 Likes

Apparently, even this year’s boat race is to be a festival of shite:

I did the Windsor Tri in the Thames in 2022.

I have never gotten out of the water with a taste like that in my mouth.

Cringe Reaction GIF

1 Like

Now if you’d have had your daily dose of Marmite beforehand there would not have been a problem.

Not read the article yet but I suspect it’s partly down to the number of high intensity storms we’ve had over this winter. The storm drains, often combined with the foul sewer simply can’t cope with the volume delivered in such short timescales. I’d even bet there’s an overall volume issue too.

The sad thing is we’ve known about this for years and very little done to improve infrastructure to cope with it. They will argue otherwise I suspect but the shit’s still in the river or sea.

It’s all good and well expanding cities, building homes and commercial units, that’s progression.
But, if existing sewers are not upgraded to handle additional volume, especially with excessive flooding we’ve seen recently, there can only be one outcome.

I’ve mentioned this before, the development of Baku over the last 20 years is eye watering, but when you walk into a bar or KFC, the first thing you smell is shit.
A product of sewer systems not being upgraded to handle additional use.

To be fair there is a new super sewer being built in London. Elsewhere though :grimacing:

What the hell does that word gotten mean? Some people just can’t speakken the King’s english. :disappointed:

All greek islands are pretty much like that. The sewerage systems are so bad you are not allowed to flush your toilet paper…:nauseated_face:

It is one of those archaic words that has persisted in North American usage, but was once the standard in British English as well - hence the presence in the King James Bible.

Don’t expect the rest of the world to keep up with your island fads…it is a bit weird how the past participle has become the same as the simple past. Linguistically, that’s a mess.

2 Likes

I remember a visit to England, I’d renewed my kids ID cards but forgotten to check my own passport. Going through border checks one ‘agent’ commented that my passport expired in a week. Spent a day in some Welsh town/city (Swansea?) so I could get back home.
It’s very important to check your documents before ‘leaving’ as it might not be so easy where your going.
Oh! visas as well, if it expires you could get stuck where you are. That’s a wierd one, they want you out but won’t let you ‘go’. :rofl: