UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

put this here but it can equally go into the Climate thread

1 Like

Here was me thinking she only looked good in shades of Lettuce Green :0)

Isnā€™t Boomer life great?

https://www.almondfinancial.co.uk/pension-breakeven-index-how-does-the-uk-state-pension-compare-to-the-rest-of-europe/

Gosh, almost like they should have been contributing far more all along? Most pension structures in the West have been basically a Ponzi scheme since the 1980ā€™s. The fact that the extending life spans of the 1945-1965 cohort was going to produce a crisis have been understood since about that time.

2 Likes

Not a fair comparison though, as the pension models are different (European models involve higher contributions and pay out often based on career or final salary measures.) UK model is viewed as a top up with an expectation you build a pension privately, and Housing benefits available if needed.

Younger generations will question the age at which they get to access their pensions (if they can at all) and the decline of final salary pensions etc that their equivalents in previous generations could have had access to).

Unless Iā€™m mistaken, this isnā€™t even a comparison between boomers and other groups, right? Itā€™s just a geographic comparison.

Probably right.
Just pointing out how shit the UK state pension system is

2 Likes

It used to be a lot worse. Remember when they start going on about the triple lock being unaffordable, it was intended to help the state pension catch up.

1 Like

If the boomers hadnā€™t taken us out of Europe and kept the Tories in power for the last 14 years, it might stretch a bit furtherā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t have the numbers but wasnā€™t one of the issues then was the young not happy with Brexit results but yet less than 1/3 or really low numbers in the below 25s went to vote on it?

I just saw a Guardian article and it said 64% of age 18-24 voted in the referendum. To my mind that is very commendable and quite high for the segment.

Still there is truth in what you say, as 95% of over age 65 voted.

1 Like

Oh really? Must have remembered wrongly, cos I remembered there was some talk that there was a serious disengagement from the young in terms of voting for the Brexit issue.
This article says only 36% voted in the age group you mentioned. But I am not sure the reliability of this website, just googled. Also not sure whether this age group would have made a difference in the end result as like you mentioned, the older ones turned up in big percentages.

36% was the widely reported number, but their research showed it was almost double, 64% of 18-24 year olds who voted in the referendum on Europe.

Still not as many as 95%, but a lot more than was widely reported.

Of course, all boomers voted Tory and out :roll_eyes:

No, of course not. Just most of them.

Fair enough

Thatā€™s very magnanimous of you. :+1:

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never asked this before, but at what age do you typically catch the Tory bug? I feel like Iā€™m floating into that age group and really want to keep my wits about me.

2 Likes

Going by the chart above there appears to be a step change when people hit 40.

I blame the kids

Based on the last 25 years itā€™s a bizarre phenomenon (to me anyway)