UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

2 Likes

How does it make it more difficult though,since kids born since 2009 already can’t buy smokes?

You could always do a trip every 4-6 weeks and stock up for the next couple of months which I bet a lot of teens will probably start to do in the next couple of years

Do you reckon? Probably lucky just to get the fuckers out of bed.

That’ll be good because they’ll start to appreciate fine wines, foie gras and Truffaut films.

Because you are widening the gap between the people who can and the people who can’t.

To get cigarettes all someone who is 17 has to do is have a mate who is 18 to buy them. If someone who is 17 needs to find someone 19, or 20, or 21 etc, you see how it gets harder?

It doesn’t get harder.There are 14/15 yr olds able to get drink,drugs,cigarettes and vapes without much hassle or the need for mates who are 4/5 yrs older than they are,let alone 1 yr older.

This kid didn’t have any trouble finding someone 8 or so years older than him

https://twitter.com/thecasualultra/status/1744459570607501553?lang=en

By 2050 I will be a centenarian and I was hoping to give smoking a try then because what the hell.

Well, objectively it does. There will be kids who manage to get hold of cigs, but most will find it harder to get hooked.

That people will get away with it, doesn’t mean you don’t do it. People still get away with going at 90mph - that isn’t an argument for abandoning speed limits.

2 Likes

What it might do is change their mindset,but it doesn’t make it more difficult for them to get smokes.They will easily find a way if they want them.

Agreed.
And making it illegal for a 26/30/40 year old to buy them is a ludicrous aspect to their objective

If i want to i can go into town on a saturday and buy cheap black market smokes in the middle of the high street.The guy selling them doesn’t care how old his customers are.

I might be wrong, but surely they are already not smoking cigarettes, but mostly vaping?

I went to Morrisons yesterday, and a young kid no more than about 12 outside asked if I’d get him 20 Richmond.
Feeling charitable, I took his money and got them for him.

Little fucker never even said thanks.

Told him he can get his own fucking sausages in future

Probably.
But hooked is hooked.
Governments will ban vapes long before they outright ban tobacco.
That then leaves nicotine addicts with a supply problem

Maybe look at what these companies put in these products and start there?

Playing devil’s advocate

Question over alcohol too I guess.

Regarding you last sentence the cautionary tale is that in the late 60s people imagined a world w/o religion and wars… I think they are here to stay. We can ban them but ithey won’t disappear as it will be like weed now, or any other drug, supporting a criminal underworld.

I don’t know anyone who smokes going into their late twenties, thirties and forties who doesn’t deeply regret getting addicted in the first place. I really can’t see 40 year olds kicking off in the year 2050 because they are unable to finally start that smoking habit they’ve always wanted to take up.

2 Likes

It’s not that I don’t take the picture seriously, but I can’t get past either how huge the kid is, or how tiny the man sat in front of him is.