UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

More fool you, the Arctic doesn’t exist, ask any flat earther.

1 Like

Damn the requirement to prove who you are to vote. If only almost all of us had photo ID (or as detailed above could postal vote without)

Only seems to be criticised (on the whole) by people who think it’s aimed at stopping the youth voting. They should join society then :slight_smile: The idea that every kid of voting age doesn’t have ID today is nonsense. Pubs (and most others who retail restricted products) are so strict these days, there’s no alternative. Unless you’re a teetotal climate activist who doesn’t gamble, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t cook and hates fireworks. In my world, they shouldn’t just not be able to vote, they should be the first passengers to Mars.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to someone’s vote if they have been active supporting a party etc but they are then struck down with an illness say like dementia?

Is basically their vote cancelled in some way if they are unable to vote ? , Is there a way maybe someone that is an appointee etc would be able to have their vote cast for them on knowing their previous beliefs etc?

I know the answer will be no probably, but it’s a shame that many people with certain medical issues are basically blocked from voting because of human frailties

So why are over-60s bus passes allowed but student ones aren’t?

5 Likes

They can still vote, with additional assistance if needed:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/can-people-with-dementia-vote

2 Likes

Because it’s understandable that some old people don’t have photo ID. Not 18 year olds. A bus pass isn’t anywhere near as secure as a driving license or a passport.

1 Like

A photo is a photo. If it’s acceptable for one demographic, it should be acceptable for all.

5 Likes

So why allow it for over 60s but not under 30s who are less likely to have had a passport or driving license?

3 Likes

You can’t use that reasoning though. Take my Mum as an example. We know that she has only ever voted Labour and has campaigned for them. But if they announced something in a manifesto that clashed with her religion, she’d vote with god every time. Only she can make that decision though. I don’t think it’s correct to take a person’s voting history and just leave it in play all their life on the basis that they can no longer judge for themselves. There’s probably a Latin phrase for this that I don’t know.

Cause students can’t be trusted to vote conservative. :wink:

2 Likes

Show off

My missus was issued a disability card, complete with photo, by our local authority when diagnosed as ‘sight impaired’.
Applied for a blue badge to the same local authority, but they wouldn’t accept her newly issued card as a form of ID.

Bonkers.

Exactly.
In order to faciliate a deeper learning we need higher education.

Regarding @Klopptimist reductionism of the value of educational psychology?
Maybe you haven’t needed the expertise, so why be so critical of prople providing a crucial service?

That higher education doesn’t need to be at a university. I recently taught myself to re-code and program a very specific automated control system. Didn’t have to go to Oxford.

Regarding your second paragraph, not a conversation for here.

Meanwhile…

1 Like

My solitary O level, in woodwork, set me up nicely in life.

1 Like

I was a university student for 12 years. I loved student lifestyle :upside_down_face:

Took me 5 degrees to figure out what career I wanted.

I could never have predicted it, but every degree served me well. Meant I could operate at the interface of disciplines and speak the language.

I went from a kid who the teachers said that I should look at alternatives to Uni (took GCSE English 4 times) to being considered global expert in my field.

I am a big proponent of university. As much for the life time experience as to study. I feel sorry for kids that went to Uni during covid or didn’t leave home.

I was lucky student fees for me were negligible. If I had to pay the Uni fees today I probably would have followed my teacher advice and not gone.

I would advocate that the UK should make all STEM subjects free. With a scaled approach for other subjects depending on value to economy.

9 Likes

The problem with that approach is that it would encourage kids with a real talent for arts or humanities to become mediocre scientists and engineers.

5 Likes

Ignoring talent, it just means that overall there’s a lower emphasis on things that can really enrich society, especially with the skills learned during the degree.

But what do I know eh, never been through the School of Hard Knocks™

1 Like

My lad did an HND at college, a bachelors degree and a masters degree at 2 different universities.
All 3 qualifications are relevant to the field he works in now (no he isn’t a farmer).
Thankfully I was able to ensure he finished his further education debt free.
I feel so much for parents who cant, and the stress they must endure seeing their kids start their working lives tens of thousands of pounds in debt.

6 Likes