UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Inequality ain’t hard to find; real median wages haven’t changed in 30 years+ and productivity gains in income earned has shifted from a 50/50 split to over 90%+ in favour of profits (unearned income)…

The harsh responses. Trying to find fault is what’s bad with politics. I hate the journalists like Paxman etc. they make a name by catching politicians out. So no one answers. It’s a game. The journalists have a huge part to play.

1 Like

And honestly. You stand for change and clean up politics. Then you accept gifts? It’s basic. It’s stupid. Destroys any credibility you had. Why? I wanted you to make a change. But you are the same.

1 Like

Anyone want to start something? Stand for change. I am nearly retired at 56…something needs to give.

I think the prevailing political wisdom seems to be that despite polling showing that British people at large want change policy-wise, it for some reason doesn’t translate to votes, and even less so to seats.

2 Likes

First question is, are there any parties already in existence that can reflect better what the British public wants and aspires but just too small to be voted? I mentioned Lib Dems simply because it was a credible third force, but I think some who knows them better mentioned their inconsistencies. Greens? (Too narrow?) Or Reform (too dangerous?).

If there are no viable parties, of course it will always revolve around these 2 incumbents and the public will just have to hope they somehow will change for the better. But if there are, then people got to start voting them even if there is a risk for the “wrong party” to stay in power for the short term. If I am a new party and the public sends a message “oh you are great, you are everything I want but you know what, you are too small, I have to vote for one of the incumbents even though I don’t like both of them, just to get the other out”

The vicious cycle will just go on and on. Of course Labour is just few months in. They might consolidate and get better as time goes but it seems there is considerable feelings that Labour will just end up as the ‘lesser evil’.

1 Like

There are a whole raft of other parties but the first past the post voting system makes it very difficult for smaller parties, even the LibDems, to make a difference. You also have Northern Ireland and, to a lesser extent Scotland, with a radically different political landscape.

I think what is actually lacking in the UK is a moderately socially conservative, economically conservative party in the style of the Christian Democrat parties in Germany and other European countries. The “One Nation” wing of the Conservative party used to fill that role, but they have been largely squeezed out. I think Starmer is trying to fill that middle ground, but it isn’t really his job to do that.

1 Like

Maradona and Messi were both pretty good at football depsite being a pair of shortarses. Maybe England might be able to use that shortness to build a decent football team for once?!? :wink:

This is an example of climate goals coinciding with national security/geopolitical goals.

Stop fossil fuels, and you stop resource-rich dictatorships.

5 Likes

Maybe we should be grateful for once that we have FPTP.

Lib Dems 72 MPs with 12% of the vote.
Reform UK 5 MPs with 14% of the vote.

2 Likes

I disagree. Proportional representation should still go ahead, even if it means parties with which we don’t agree get a bigger say.

5 Likes

Perhaps, but the question is how much of this voting result is because of tactical voting. If proportional voting was in place, I feel as though the voting patterns would shift dramatically. Probably see a collapse of Labour support since they would be vulnerable to the Greens.

Either way as @cynicaloldgit says, just because I don’t agree with them doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get representation.

2 Likes

I wonder if Lord Alli needs another friend…:slight_smile:

Talk about misjudging the mood of the nation.

Certainly a parliament culture type thing.

Reading the article, it was last December, and she declared it according to the rules.

I don’t like the look, but it really does seem as though Alli is genuinely their friend. Not sure it’s a parliamentary culture issue necessarily, since how many of us would turn down a free stay with a friend at an empty place they own?

Labour have got to up their discipline on this though. Whether it’s morally fine or not, it’s also the appearance of impropriety that they need to avoid.

EDIT:

That latter point is something that I really feel as though Starmer has disappointed on. It’s not as though he’s never been in a position where he has to be careful about what gifts he can or cannot accept, whether because of an actual corrupt intention or because of the appearance thereof.

2 Likes

This is why I believe its a culture thing. They arent stupid. They know the right wing press arecafter them. They know that as a government they need to deliver to higher standards than ever before and will be jugded on an unfair playing field yet they do stupid stuff like accepting free designer clothes.

Who is Starmer’s press secretary? I’m rather cynical about spin, but they seem to be sitting back whilst he gets slaughtered.

As far as I can tell, their main response is to unleash a kitten.

1 Like

1 Like

Bet he’s dreading bumping into Audrey again.

https://x.com/RedCollectiveUK/status/1837800965493154246?t=p4CYOjA05Y7KdS7jf_LLuw&s=03

3 Likes