UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

And yet carers, as in child minders are extortionally expensive. I agree health carers are properly abused financially.

Just an observation at the massive imbalance that we have with people severely under appreciated in roles. We can add nurses and teachers to the list for example

As for Osborne and Cameron. I honestly can’t think of anyone so destructive and calculating as that pair.

there’s very little difference between an individual owning and renting out a couple of houses, and a corporation owing entire blocks of apartment buildings which they let as a business model. Nobody seems to mind companies like Canary Wharf or Grainger…

That’s not land banking, though. Both of those should be maintaining the buildings so are actually doing something productive. I know that some landlords don’t do this but that’s not really the business model.

Land-banking involves sitting on an asset and waiting for the value to increase due to the scarcity that they have created.

1 Like

again, how is that any different that the Qatari-owned Canary Wharf being the largest landlord in England, or Grainger and their 20,000+ rentals? Companies with assets worth tens (hundreds?) of billions in real estate holdings profiting on the housing of those who cannot afford to buy their own due to lack of availability, and somehow you’re pointing the finger at private ownership of a few homes?

it’s 1000% optics, and you’re way off the mark here. The government is the one writing the rules and allowing this profiteering to happen through housing regulations. They’re allowing the game to be played and nobody is saying a thing about it.

How am I doing that? Land banking is practiced by the big developers and businesses like supermarkets. They have to be that big to have the available capital to sit on the asset.

1 Like

Their whole austerity programme was just an excuse to finish what Thatcher started. I haven’t got time to look for it now but I’m pretty sure they admitted as much.

1 Like

how about this:

going back to this

2 Likes

so why aren’t there protest? why isn’t there legislation prohibiting offshore ownership for multiple private dwellings? you’d think there would be more pushback

If someone is maintaining and renting out an asset they are running a business not just sitting on an asset. You made the point about overseas ownership of assets by Middle Eastern investors so I think you grasp the difference.

1 Like

you made a statement about the idle rich not pulling their weight. I’m saying the problem isn’t just them, it’s systemic from the top of government down.

Tax wealth. Job done.

3 Likes

great theory. somehow it still doesn’t happen. probably because, wealthy make the rules?

As if.

1 Like

Define wealth. Unearned income? Tangible assets?

1 Like

Yep. And that’s why society is fucked.

3 Likes

Bugger

the real fundamental problem with taxing wealth is that theoretically its been taxed the once already…surely thats enough.

in the spirit of what we are trying to achieve as a society, being taxed once on what you earn is enough, then its yours. thats the way this tribe should work…thats why we all got together on the village green 1000 years ago and decided we need to chip in a bit and build for the greater good.

any other system will fundamentally mean a complete change of ideals for our society…and scoff as much as you will, i dont think it will be a good result.

if you buy a nice 2nd pair of trousers, are you happy to pay another 10% a year later becuase…yknow…how many trousers do you need? and the guy over there doesnt even own 1 pair…

i understand theres a completely different logic associated to this between england and australia as we are a younger nation with a larger culture of imigrants trying to make a ‘new start’.

but wealth being taxed feels like a genuine knock on the head of anyone whos ‘in between’…it wont be the wealthy…the twiggys, and the reinhardts…who pay…

Is tax evasion and avoidance.

If everyone paid their correct share, it wouldn’t be a problem.

2 Likes

is correct.

id also add in, gross mismanagement of funds weighs heavily as well…

ive never had a problem with ‘welfare cheats’ as i see them as a bi product of a safety net that im happy to help pay for…i dont have an issue with governments funding projects that arent commercially viable but are beneficial for society…(females in fruit picking week or some such)…i just cant for a second have time for the bloated government contracts to ‘prefered contractors’ …

2 Likes

Prefered contractor, landlord of your local boozer.

Same same.

1 Like