UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

Earns over 100k

I thought in @ISMF1ā€™s proposal you just pay a flat 12% on everything?

It was.
Income tax is part of ā€œeverythingā€ isnā€™t it?

Dane canā€™t read!

12% on all their income would be Ā£2200 not your enormous sum but a gigantesque one!
4 months rent!

Trustifarians?

Didnā€™t even consider this.

2 Likes

Chronic problem in development policy - countries remain poor because of low stocks of human capital, often while taking on debt to improve their human capital stock, while individuals migrate taking that human capital with them.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a problem as long as there have been medical staff. Just think of how many qualified doctors the UK deprived India of.

2 Likes

True, you donā€™t consider the impact till it hits home.

1 Like

ā€¦ or you actually think about it and care! :rofl:

The UK always tended to offer better money and more opportunities than a lot of other countries(probably still do),stands to reason more health professionals would head there.Doesnā€™t make it right but if at some point those professionals were able to return home they would enhance their national health services because of the experiences and training given while in britain.

I suggest you go back to school.
Hard to believe a grown man struggles with primary 5 arithmetic, yet here you are

Flobs cant count

I think the issue is that ISMF didnā€™t mention anything about a personal allowance.

Noted that no-one answered my question though

Oh didums! :rofl:

Mr A wouldnt have a personal allowance as that is removed from a flat tax, so your example would underestimate the tax payable by A?

Edit - just saw @Mascot mention this already!

@RedWhippet kind of pre-empted your question though. There are different reasons why taxing higher earners (or those with more wealth) at a higher rate may be viewed as a good thing.

Flat taxes appear a seductively very obvious and good thing to introduce but the devil is always in the detail.

The most obvious factor is that it will have a disproportionate impact on lower earners purchasing power. As @Arminius said, it also wonā€™t raise as much revenue without being much higher than the initially discussed 12%.

1 Like

Keep it up.
Better clowns than you have failed to get a bite