UK Politics Thread (Part 3)

She could have a look at this - I think I’ve done their stuff in the past.

2 Likes

People do a lot of stupid things for sure,but companies are equally at fault for at times expecting employees to just get the job done,knowing that 99 times in a hundred nothings gonna go wrong.I’ve seen it far too many times and have been on the end of a number of incidents where the company just didn’t listen and shit went wrong.
Strict adherence to the rules needs to happen from the top down in order for bottom of the rung employees to follow all SOPs and pay attention to risk assessments.If bosses dont then neither will workers on the floor,as if they do then they are in conflict with their superiors.

2 Likes

… and another nail in the coffin for this moribund political party.

1 Like

What does it say on the sign?

I managed to find a pic of it

1 Like

I don’t know the details of the law, but if it is just temporary work, it might dissuade applicants as they have to undo their benefit arrangement, if they do it all above board.

If you could stay on benefits and work x amount, casually, before having to report it, Im sure people would snap your hand off.

1 Like

Yep the ‘savings’ from reducing this spending are incredibly costly - financially and even more importantly in human life and wasted potential.

1 Like

Completely agree. Thesis like this one (from a part time hairdresser and psych student) really detail how deeply hairdressers are confided in:

2 Likes

They would have to declare it even if under 16 hours pw. DWP CIS systems are now linked to inland revenue in real-time on earnings.

Cash in hand will draw attention to the individual and also to the business.

3 Likes

While a fascinating insight into your experiences, i’m not sure it is that relevant to a discussion on in work poverty - as a lack of digital/ social media access, presence of challenging health conditions and caring responsibilities for example are often sighted as contributory factors.

1 Like

I’d be very surprised if there are too many people these days who cant access the internet.

Last figures i heard was about 6% of households lacking access, about 20% of adults lacking the skills.

1 Like

Interesting.
I’d imagine a large amount of those are pensioners and people outside the employment seeking market.
Figures of people ready and available to work who can’t/don’t know how to access internet would be more relevant.

I’ll leave you to research that and get back to me :crazy_face:

Zero in the UK.

And 100% of libraries / council offices offering free access and basic training.

About the only thing libraries are used for these days.

Skills, or knowledge? I have to admit that I wouldn’t immediately think of going to Facebook to actively look for work although I have, in fairness, seen a fair few adverts on there (at least in Germany, I can’t recall seeing them in the UK).

The last time I was looking for work I uploaded a profile to LinkedIn. The last time I actively applied for a job I wrote the letter on a typewriter. That was over 30 years ago.

If I was applying for unskilled or casual work in the UK, I’m not even sure where the best place to go would be. A Job Centre? Do they still exist?

Yes

1 Like

All well and good, except under the tories, massive numbers of libraries have either closed or on serverly reduced opening hours.

Close to 800 gone between 2010 and 2019, so not even looking at how many got closed after Covid and the latest public spending cuts by this shame of a government

2 Likes

In fairness Libraries are dead as a concept. And I say that as a lover of paper books. I hate Kindles but they are the obvious future.