What's happening?

Every Friday morning at 11am the tornado sirens go off in these parts, just as a regular test. When we first moved here it took a little while to adjust.

2 Likes

I wish we would get warnings for Tornadoes although I assume you mean the whirlwinds and not the noisy bastard planes.

Only only regular siren I get to hear is the Weds 9am office fire alarm test - horrible at that time of the morning. Thankfully mostly work at home on wedsā€™ now!

1 Like

Yes, the whirlwinds! The warning system is very good. Sirens, phone alert, tv alert, all media is blasted.

Thereā€™s a different word that is used too, so a tornado watch means bad storm, be vigilant as the conditions could arise for a tornado.

A tornado warning is when one has been spotted, at which point everyone drills down on the location and path, etc. and checks the weather radar and so on.

When we first moved here we were quick to get down to the basement if it was a bad storm. People who have lived here forever tend to be a lot more blasƩ about the whole thing.

9am is just rude!

1 Like

Pulled into a subway somewhere in the middle of the US years ago. Siren went off. Everybody calmly stopped what they were doing and started leaving. I asked the lady who was serving us what was happening. She explained twister warning and we needed to get to shelter. I explained we were driving through. She suggested driving away very quickly. I asked about police. She said the only local cop would be the first in the shelter. You can guess what we did next.

Driving You Know Me GIF by seiji oda

1 Like

They arenā€™t ā€˜air raidā€™ sirens these days just sirens. We have them in France for nuclear ā€˜disastersā€™. Then again sirens go off all the time so I donā€™t think anyone would blink if one went off, if they had time to blink. I think we might have had a test some years ago but I must blinked.

Talking of sirens ā€˜ourā€™ fire alarm goes off most mornings when the idiot client puts a pancake in the toaster (thereā€™s a rack for such gourmandise however itā€™s widely ignored). Thankfully Iā€™m long gone before the idiots wake up, I only have to deal with early birds with things to do like act responsibly.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

1 Like

Well at least it wasnā€™t frozen fish, which some agency engineer did with my toaster in the site cabin once.

really not that much different than warming up a waffle in the toaster, bud.

not that iā€™d do itā€¦

Waffles donā€™t bend, callapse or break like pancakes do ā€¦ :see_no_evil:

On the subject of waffleā€¦

1 Like

Hope you and your family are ok.
Really difficult time for all of you.

1 Like

26th wedding anniversary so I took Mrs ROTW away to a nice little boutique hotel in the country. Just the ticket after a tough few days with our sonā€™s health - heā€™s great now, with a good ongoing plan, thanks all for the best wishes. Heā€™s gaining weight and planning to play football on Saturday, though only half, and then a week later back to full games.

The hotel is stuffed full of period furniture and so on. Itā€™s like we stepped back in time, though it obviously has all mod cons, a/c, Wi-Fi, whirlpool tub and so on. We are drinking a very pleasant g&t on the porch, the sun is shining but not too hot, and just taking it all in. Itā€™s a short walk to a tiny little town, where they have a Main Street with art galleries and antique shops, and we have a reservation at the restaurant.

The interesting thing is the whole enterprise is linked, from farm, to inn, to emporium, to restaurant.

The restaurant specializes in wagyu beef, so Iā€™m looking forward to a delicious steak. The farm has a link to Japan, and they have wagyu cattle from there, and they go into how they raise them, feed them, and how it takes about three times as long to get to the table, so to speak, due to the intensive process and excellent husbandry practices. We booked a table at the kitchen to talk to the chef as he does his thing, as we are foodies when we get the chance.

They will bring breakfast to us from the restaurant tomorrow morning, so we can chill out and ease into a lazy day. Before driving home it will be a quick stop at the emporium to buy steaks, and they also make their own prosciutto, and a few nice cheeses, that sort of thing.

7 Likes

Pancakes are made in a pan. The clue is in the name. Reheating them? Work of the devil.

Wifeā€™s gone on a no non vegetarian diet in the last two weeks.

I reckon iā€™m going to make a chicken biryani just to piss her off for lunch. :smiling_imp:

So is she just eating meat?

No non vegetarian diet.

confused GIF

Not ready made defrosted ones. Iā€™ll keep them out longer to dry them before putting them out. 4 days should do it or 20 odd minutes in the oven.

One is never enoughā€¦ Soooo easy to finish the whole pack - Toasted or Plainā€¦ Mmmmmmmm :0)