What's happening?

Gosh, I hate this word. My mother is suffering for over five years now.

3 Likes

itā€™s fucking terrible.

That said, my mother was stricken with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in ~1995/96 and watching her physical decline to the the current day (whilst be mentally 100% cogniscient) has been quite a journey.

Itā€™s not what one ever wants to hear, but I do hope this gift of life can help give a tiny bit of solace. Organ donation is a wonderful thing and your cousin and family are to be commended for this gift in a time of sorrow that will mean so much to those three recipients and their families.

3 Likes

meet baby Jurgen/Jurgenellaā€¦

20 weeks old and just had its final scan,

when the sonographer said its was perfect and everything was good,

i near cried,

roll on August when it enters the world

16 Likes

congratulations! :balloon:

2 Likes

Congratulations :clap: :nerd_face:

Congratulations Bonus, at last some wonderful newsā€‹:blush::clap:

I live in a neighborhood where all the houses were built in the 50s (an old neighborhood for Florida). When I bought my house about 12 years year ago it had recently been renovated top to bottom, so weā€™re now getting to the stage where we have to do some fixes and itā€™s killing me.

Weā€™ve got a few electric outlets that need to be changed out so we call an electrician - turns out the wiring is mostly original, which is no longer up to code and is in a state that makes it a fire hazard. Estimate $8500

The frame on our front door is made of wood and has started to deteriorate meaning sometimes you close the door and it doesnā€™t stay properly closed. Basic cost for a new door - $550. Cost for my non-standard sized door with custom installation - $2500.

My partner just moved in and we had been discussed plans for renovations to make more space for her (reframing two closest and doing a custom build out for the second). I am waiting for the quote for that and feel likeā€¦

Throw The Towel GIF

2 Likes

Move your house out of Florida and fly me over for a week. Job done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just waved Mrs and Jnr off. Going to a dance thing in Epsom for a week. Iā€™m now home alone till Saturday.

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

1 Like

Sympathies as Iā€™m in a similar boat, all be it with a 100 year old house (with more recent renovations) but battered by North Wales worst weather. So much so that our chimney is bald on the front and one side with the render having been completely eroded away exposing the original brick. The rear another side are still coated in a pristine render.

Similarly, the windows are reaching the end.
So
New windows (phase 1) - circa Ā£9k
New render to front and side elevation - est. Ā£12k (going for some real heavy duty shit)
And discussions abound of a small extension to the rear - Ā£20k

And of course weā€™re not done.
Demolish rear sheds outhouses
Move oil tank to where the sheds were
Build new sheds on land at the rear of the property.

So my bank account is and will forever be

Smoke Smoking GIF by kirun

Solar panels?

Yeah Iā€™d love to. Hoping I can wangle some kind of government assistance on that side. Thereā€™s been a few home energy efficiency upgrades done in the area over the last few years.

Wasnā€™t there some kind of grant for replacing boilers with heat pumps or something like that?

Heat pumps are shite. avoid at all costs.

In what way?

Theyā€™re like being heated by a candle. At 30m.

1 Like

Wow uncannyā€¦that is exactly the image I have in my mind every time I see your posts :flushed:

Please tell me that is indeed youā€¦

Isnā€™t the point of them to go with underfloor heating and use it as background heating rather than a point source?

A little younger, a little thinner and I quit smoking the day I got married. But otherwise absolutely!

1 Like