Who would you buy?

If you didn’t see or hear the comments why are you contradicting me? :angry:

NAIVE!!! (10 boos)

fight mean GIF by South Park

1 Like

Think we will definitely sign an attacker and a midfielder but some movement will happen over departures first/around the same time.

Also think we may bring in a CB and/or a fullback depending on what happens over departures. I don’t think any of Matip, Phillips, Neco Williams or Tsimikas will be pushed out but all of them if the player approaches Klopp because they think its best for them to move on the club won’t resist. If any of those leave it could lead to more new arrivals.

Also small chance of a versatile Attacking Mid/tucked in winger type as a squad option, possibly a very good one. But that move would only happen if all of Wilson, Shaqiri, Minamino and Ox have deals lined up.

Apart from that I only see arrivals to replace star players who we’ve lost without wanting to.

My choices would be;

Attacker: Tammy Abraham for reasonable money and something complimentary but completely different from what we have. Or Sardar Azmoun if we want more options and depth and someone who can replicate Origis role at a (hopefully) better quality level, a Jota style CF or a more direct than ideal but still OK wide option.

Midfielder: I think we need a player who maybe seems best as a hard working 8 with decent ball playing but who is solid enough to be a decent back up in the 6 position. I think we have the “starters”/core as things stand but there would be playing opportunities for a player like that to develop and take over one of the older players within a season or two. That’s why I’ve thought Gravenberch would be ideal. I also really believe Rabiot is a great player, ideal for us and even more versatile than required. Potentially available cheap too for reasons not based on what happens on the pitch. Klopp’s able to bring that stuff under control in my eyes.

CB: Think if Matip and/or Phillips goes we could bring in someone like Botman. If just Phillips maybe a cheap attempt at another diamond in the rough type and homegrown too in someone like Tosin Abarabioyo.

FB: Think someone like Tomas Tavares could be an ideal option, potentially good but a right back cover who can play left back comfortably. Prefer to just keep Williams and Tsimikas for another season to be honest.

Attacking Mid: If we had reasonable money I’d like to get Pedro Goncalves in but he won’t be cheap and not sure we will even recruit for here. Another option I like is Delle Alli who Klopp would turn into a world class player and is a Liverpool fan. But maybe too old and expensive for a non essential role.

Because everything I have read is contrary to what you have claimed. I even tried googling it before I replied earlier and didn’t find anything at all other than positive comments when he left.

I’m happy to for you to provide a link or at least some further details behind your claim as all you have done so far is post what appears to be an unsubstantiated claim, but I don’t think you can hence your abrasive posts aimed at me (and now others).

3 Likes

Klopp openly and publically criticised Brewster (after Brewster had scored 2 goals):
[Klopp says where Brewster needs to improve despite two-goal salvo]

I have no problem that Klopp wanted rid of Brewster however he put Brewster in an impossible position particularly as he wouldn’t give any guarantees of game time.
In a professional environment I don’t think this changes Klopps personal feeling fopr Brewster and I don’t think this should need to be said.
Klopp rarely if ever criticises players like this aven if they aren’t pulling their weight and are playing fucking shit (to the contrary he often defends players that are playing shit with how well they are doing in training etc).
KLOPP IS NOT PERFECT HE’S NORMAL and he does push players out!!!

EDIT: This was commented at length in the Brewter thread at the time and carried on to the 20/21 season with comments like this: https://theanfieldnoise.com/t/ex-player-rhian-brewster/111/38?u=flobs

Quote from Rhian Brewster:

“I could have stayed, I was under contract, but at the age I am now in my career, I wanted game time,” said the striker, who made just four ­appearances for Liverpool.

“This was a fantastic ­opportunity and when it came round, I felt it was too good to let it pass by.

“For me there is no substitute for playing week in, week out. Once you get a taste of playing regularly, you want to keep doing that.

“I had a positive experience at ­Swansea and I didn’t want to go back to being a squad player. I’ve got some momentum and want to keep my ­career moving forward.

“And I feel for that to happen, I need to give myself the best possible chance of playing. I spoke to the boss at ­Liverpool and he agreed with me, so when this opportunity came along, I couldn’t turn it down.”

If he doesn’t believe he was forced out, why should you?

3 Likes

He’s being polite and professional, unlike Klopp after that preseason match. Some things should be kept for behind closed doors.
The key is Brewster still makes the poit he could have stayed as ‘I was under contract’. nowhere does he say he was welcome to stay!

Brewster pushed for a move away every season.

2 Likes

Did you stop reading after that initial sentence? He says he wanted regular games, approached Klopp about it and the manager agreed to let him leave to get that. That to me says if he’d wanted to stay Klopp would have had zero problem with it. He (Klopp) did not initiate that dialogue.

And as for the criticism, you make it sounds as if he tore strips off him, where in fact the only negatives were there are areas he can improve (as is the case with any teenage player) and can be more involved in games, which is fair. In the same breath he calls him a natural goalscorer and “100% there in the moment”.

To me that’s a manager trying to be constructive while dampening fan expectations of a player at the very beginning of his career, and he’s likely tempered his public statements on our young players after hyping up Woodburn on the basis of one match, only for him to fall off the radar almost completely.

1 Like

Even '18/'19? :astonished:

The comments Klopp made indicated that Brewster would figure in Klopps plans the coming season. Hence player and agent tock on Klopps door to clarify the situation and come to an understanding. It’s a simple professional processus.
It’s exactly what you would expect after the comments Klopp made if the player wants playing time, it was a deliberate push, what’s wrong with that and admitting that?

Because it’s incorrect.

Reluctantly allowing to leave is very different to pushing someone out. And it’s not that I don’t believe Klopp is capable of that (eg Sakho), but because nothing I’ve read or heard aligns with that perception.

1 Like

The criticism was a push whether you accept that or not!

If a young player felt pushed out every time a coach said they could improve in some areas, our academy would be empty very quickly.

And seeing as he registered 0 goals and 0 assists in 31 appearances last season (1,295 minutes played), perhaps Klopp was not wrong in his assessment?

3 Likes

Honestly it looks like you’ve made a statement which isn’t true, scoured the internet for something to back it up and found one solitary quote from Klopp saying there are aspects of his game that can improve.

Stretching that to Klopp making comments that aren’t nice and pushing Brewster out the door is a huge leap.

3 Likes

The headline of that piece is sensationalist clickbait crap.

The quote in the piece says “He can learn a lot of things but he is a natural goalscorer. That’s what he is. He can be more involved in games, but in the decisive moments he is 100 per cent there”

If we think a manager saying this is forcing someone out then jesus it’s amazing every player doesn’t move once a season. He wanted more football than he’d get here, we reluctantly sold him to fund other transfers because we couldn’t move other players on.

5 Likes

I have explained above, it’s not often a youngster is criticised publically after scoring 2 goals. It was a blatant push to get a reaction and the ensueing ‘talk’ with Klopp that is well documented even by yourself. There’s not many youngsters who get to a position of breaking into the 1st team either.

So now your argueing that Klopp did push hime and was right to do so? That’s my position!

It doesn’t matter it was a public statement by Klopp which triggered what happened after, it was a push. It was evident at the time once Klopp said that something would be set in motion, it was said on here in the Brewster and preseason threads.

I spoke with Rhian’s Dad a few months ago and Rhian wanted playing opportunities. There was no feeling whatsoever that the club or manager were forcing him out, quite the opposite.

12 Likes

Frustrated Head GIF

5 Likes