Who would you buy?

He’d have to take a big drop in wages, I think he’s on about 350k a week at City.

1 Like

We could offer to match the wages City have declared to the PL and UEFA that he’s on…

4 Likes

Yes, I didn’t think about that.

3 Likes

Think Real will present Mbappe (free transfer) and Haaland (has a release clause for 2022) as the new Galacticos next summer.

1 Like

With the age structure of our midfield (Milner, Hendo, Thiago) I would love us to sign Jude Bellingham. Can’t see Dortmund sell him until 2023.

1 Like

Swap with Aouar.

I’m kind of rethinking this.

I think I’d keep Davies, sell Phillips. That’s our 4 association trained players taken care of (Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Davies).

I’d keep Woodburn because we’ve got one space for a Club Trained player and he may as well take it and see what he can bring when needed.

I’d hope we move on the surplus List A players (Karius, Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino) which would give us three spots to add anyone.

At that point I’d be inclined to add Doku and Cammavinga. Young players with potential who can contribute now but develop further under Klopp. Leave one spot open for perhaps a move in the winter window if needed.

3 Likes

The problem with Doku (from reading a few deep dives into his game) his end product is basically none existant. I don’t see us spending £40mil on a player that needs to add a lot to his game.

Mane, Jota for example were much more productive so their base level was good enough, it then got improved to elite levels.

This is based on us needing our wide forwards to be goal threats.

4 Likes

I think Klopp/LFC has made a not for sale statement about him. Not that it’s anything conclusive. But given how intensively Klopp played him during the preseason, I feel he would stay.

2 Likes

Doku has athletic gifts that very few players in the world possess. His pace and dribbling is a potent weapon to open it up.

And with that said it’s a fair point that his goals and assists are nowhere near what we would want, at present.

He is just 19 so all the stats are for an 18 year old in a new country, having made a big move from Belgium perhaps a year or two too soon?

If Klopp and his team think they can work on his game and improve him as a footballer, adding more end product to go with his undeniable athletic gifts, he could grow into a quite devastating player and in time be Mane’s successor.

I guess that’s why Jurgen and co get paid the big bucks, as I’ve no idea how good the player will become. He will get a lot more expensive if he starts to show more end product, so there’s a real art to knowing when to buy.

6 Likes

After Messis transfer to Paris, Lukaku back at Chelsea and hopefully Kane to City it would mean that there are not many options left for Haaland and Mbappe next summer.

Could Real go for both? I’m not sure.

Would Haaland sign for ManU? Something happened with his father there, right?

I know would be difficult deals to get done but if we save our money this year maybe we would be able to activate Haalands release clause or get Mbappe on a free.

Bobby would be 30 with one year left on his contract by then - just saying.

1 Like

I doubt Haaland would sign for United and not just because of what Keane did to his Dad but mainly because Haaland was a Leeds fan as a kid and they hate United more than any other club.

I wonder though, could Haaland and Mbappé play together?

3 Likes

Didn’t stop Alan Smith going to Man U and he was born and breed and played for Leeds.

1 Like

Man Utd were the best team in England when Smith went there, in fairness. Next summer they won’t even be a Champions League club.

7 Likes

I think Bayern have said they want to be part of that conversation next year. Have they spent anything this year?

1 Like

They brought in Upamecano and also trying to buy Sabitzer but that’s it.

Don’t think Lewandowski will be finished there next summer and I don’t think Haaland would go there as long as Lewa is there.

1 Like

Mbappe would be cheaper than Haaland next summer,we’d only have to find his 5 year wages and a signing on fee,say around £100mill+.

Haaland although having a release clause would cost any club a £200mill+ investment over 5 years,including £100mill 5 year wages,£75mill fee and over £40mill+ to his father and Raiola.

1 Like

The Chelsea striker spot is filled only for this year, give it’s Chelsea and it’s Lukaku.

3 Likes

Doku is said to be like Mane before he came here. Quick, good dribbler but poor end product. Klopp got Sadio his shooting boots. Wonder does he feel he can do it with this Doku lad. The price may be steep for such a youngster but we have been chasing this lad since he was a kid really, the club must be keen and think he has the skill and talent.

I think this is either Mo or Sadios last season in all honesty for some reason and I’d rather have a future Sadio/Mo at the club than looking to buy after selling such a talent in the same summer.

Not really. Sadio had a goal every 215 minutes at Southampton which isn’t bad for a winger. His record here is a goal every 182 minutes so it’s not been that dramatic an increase. Doku has a goal every 1,420 minutes at his current club. Not the same situation at all. However the point with Doku is (I think) he has some raw qualities you can use as a base whilst trying to teach, develop and improve the rest. I mean he’s only just turned 19 at the end of last season. But I think it’d be too much to expect him to be ready to be a main starting star for us within a year.

2 Likes