Who would you buy?

I find this one difficult to narrow down because I’ve got a different idea in my head for what our midfield will look like than I think most do. At ‘worst’ I think have a Henderson type player in the LCM position (ostensibly the defensive midfield role next to Trent) and I believe the starter there will be Mac Allister who brings a lot of technical skill but also high work rate and pressing ability. The role needs to be able to carry water and service Trent but also replace him as the starting point for attacks if he isn’t playing or is targetted by the opposition.

Most people are probably imagining a pure 6 so players like Florentino Luis are fine. I just don’t buy it - I also don’t buy that whoever we bring in will be an automatic starter so I think price point will be a sticking issue.

The more I’m thinking about as I type the less I’m convinced we will try and get a new midfielder. Fabinho leaves - Mac/Henderson/Thiago can play LCM (a fully fit Thiago would be a beast in that role).

I think we may use the money on a CB instead, in which case Arthur Theate would be a very interesting player. Who knows, the club has ideas, we are all just reading tea leaves.

2 Likes